Wing mounted mirror bolt removal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wing mounted mirror bolt removal?

So Ive been tinkering with the truck all week - why is it everytime I do something it turns up a stack more problems or more things start falling off!!

The little n/s wing mirror thing had crumbled away from the inside and seeing as I never used it it had to go..... dissolved bolt = cant get it out of the wing.

Anyone else had this problem. It wont budge so ideas welcome.

Awkward nut

Glynn,how do.
    Not had this problem myself but a mate told me he removed the wheel arch
    liner and grabbed the thread end with a good set of Mole grips,Good soak with plus gas or suchlike and it came out a treat.Alan

Comment

a tree removed most of my little n/s wing mirror saved me the job.

if you get the plastic cover off the top its 1 bolt and its off, i think the nut on the underside is a weld nut as its still there.
      Show me where the trench is at or can i make one!

Comment

Unfortunately the bolt head disolved into a small pile of reddish brown dust as I tried to undo it..... well actually that pretty much happened as soon as I looked at it!!

May have to resort to the wing off method but like the rest of the truck bit scared what I might find!!

Comment

Is it not possible to partially drill the bolt out and use a stud extractor to get it out?

Comment

Can't you just drill/cut off the old bolt and fill the hole with weld / P38 if you don't want to refit the mirror
            “Do or do not... there is no try.”

Comment

my initial thoughts were the cut, drill, fill option. I also noticed a spot weld that holds the plate with the offending bolt to the wing which might drill out... although Id then have three holes!

Comment

Working...
              X