A Question for the shinies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Question for the shinies

Whilst my bike is in bits (it has an electrical fault) I'm going to clean and polish, for protection, the less accessible bits. I'm going to do some of the bits with Thomson's PVC cleaner (T-Cut), but what to polish/protect them with?

As a vehement non cleaner, I have no idea what constitutes good and bad polish, so I'll ask you lot. I'm not interested in crap or exotica, just good quality stuff I can buy In Halfords or the likes. Mer, Auto-Glym and Meguiars(sp) are the 3 I'm thinking about, which is best?
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Any of them. I use autoglym, it completely polished out the green laning memories.
    Mer - you can add to your water when you wash, so waxes as you clean. simples.
    depends how much shine you want. more carnauba content, more shine.
    "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
    www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfracer View Post
      Any of them. I use autoglym, it completely polished out the green laning memories.
      Mer - you can add to your water when you wash, so waxes as you clean. simples.
      depends how much shine you want. more carnauba content, more shine.
      I'm not too fussed about shine, the bits I'm doing this week are usually hidden, it's mostly for protection (after I t-cut them).

Comment

says it beats everything else on the market for protection...

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/zoom.asp?edpZ=84719
        "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
        www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Just spray the parts with wd40 and let it evaporate. It's just a waste buying fancy polishes for a bike (apart from the tank and plastics) as it's always exposed to the elements.

Thats how I kept my missus' bike looking good...

Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 17 April 2011, 23:09.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
            Just spray the parts with wd40 and let it evaporate. It's just a waste buying fancy polishes for a bike (apart from the tank and plastics) as it's always exposed to the elements.
            Hmm, I never thought about that as a cleaning thing. Would it help with some light furring? Spray on, rub with a tooth or nail brush, wipe, then re-apply/

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
              Hmm, I never thought about that as a cleaning thing. Would it help with some light furring? Spray on, rub with a tooth or nail brush, wipe, then re-apply/

That's it.
              Just give another spray after a run or once a week.

Comment

Seeing as vince has shown off the shiny bike i though i'd show off my hard work today, just used an average polish "forgot the name" but it was cheap enough.
                If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Eye up Si,

Don't tell me you've got a reverse thru' garage now,
                  (cause I don't belive you). Just polished mine tonight
                  may post tomoz if possible.

Steve.
                  If it aint broke, keep goin' till it is.

Comment

That's it.
                    Just give another spray after a run or once a week.
                    Cheers Vince, I'll start on that this week

Comment

Originally posted by si tate View Post
                      Seeing as vince has shown off the shiny bike i though i'd show off my hard work today, just used an average polish "forgot the name" but it was cheap enough.
                      Sold the bike two years ago and bought a caravan.

Looking good Si, keep it up.

Comment

Looking good Si, keep it up.
                        Not driven it for 2 weeks so decided to give it a good clean.
                        If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

I only ended up selling my bike when the pitter patter of tiny feet came along...! Will get another one someday. I've been lusting after street-fightered Honda Firestorms/Suzuki TLs & SVs lately.

At least the caravan is free for me. It's actually my dad's 'van but he isn't likely to ever use it again - he can hardly walk these days so caravanning is a bit beyond him and he has told me I can use it whenever I like. Not much chance of anyone else in the family using it either so...

The trouble is there isn't anywhere to store it at my gaff so it'll have to live at dad's house whatever happens, for the time being at least.

Comment

Originally posted by Rustinho View Post
                            I've been lusting after street-fightered Honda Firestorms/Suzuki TLs & SVs lately.
                            If you want a hooligan that will try to kill you, buy a TL. If you want a nice big twin, buy a low mileage, late model (better/smoother ignition) SV1000.

Comment

ACF50 is good stuff to stop bolt heads furring up and such like.
                              it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Working...
                              X