Head question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head question

Hi just a quick question for y'all. I have a suspected cracked head which I will clarify tomorrow. I will be getting an AMC one from R/trax if needed. What I need to know is, do I need the complete new rebuilt one with all the gubbins included or is it just the cylinder head?, so expensive one or cheaper one!? Also why do they ask for the old head to be delivered to them?? I would have thought it was just scrap metal! Thanks,james

me personally i would have the dearer one as its all ready to fit.They have the old one as some parts may be able to be re-conned or just the scrap value of it
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

I bought the complete head from Roughtrax - the bare cylinder head wasn't cheap enough to save on the labour costs so I just bought it complete for ease of sorting it out.

Comment

Go for the complete head. I did and was very pleased with the package. It comes with everything installed and the valve clearances set up.
        It will save a good few hours of fiddling.
        Mark

Comment

I went for the bare head,and transfered over the camshaft,shim buckets,and valves,from the old head. Thats all R/trax want the old head for.For me it was easier than having to get a knakered head back to England!!
          Not difficult to do,but you will need to order new shims after you've checked your clearences!!

Good Luck

Mark

Comment

I would by new head bolts, cam belt, tensioner and pulley at the same time.

Including Vat £850ish will get you the lot if memory serves me.
            Brian

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
              I would by new head bolts, cam belt, tensioner and pulley at the same time.

Including Vat £850ish will get you the lot if memory serves me.
              Don't forget to throw in a new lower temp thermostat, get the radiator flushed and check the viscous fan...........
              Last edited by Sir Plug; 18 April 2011, 19:26.

Comment

Thanks Lads for the help, if I had a spare ten grand I would be sitting in a v8 amazon now but heyho that's life!! Mech stripping engine in morning so I'll find out it's fate!! £850 is not bad for parts and I'm guessing about £400 labour so new wheels and tyres are out the window and bang goes the v8!!:-((

Comment

Working...
                X