Another insurance rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another insurance rant

We have just been on go compare to get an insurance quote for my 18 year old step son on a 1l corsa, £3500 and they wonder why there are so many uninsured drivers on the road. How the hell do they think an 18 year old can afford these silly amounts the rip off merchants want
    I'm a custard donut monster

“Do or do not... there is no try.”

Comment

They are barstewards...

My dad got hit head on by a car on the wrong side of the road 4 years ago.... really nasty...

He only got the cheque today!
      More Lift.
      More Tyres.
      More Engine.

Comment

Better off getting it insured in yours or Jennys name with Adam as a named driver. Look for one of the companies that also give the named driver ncb then he will in time gain some ncb to take insurance out on his own. i.e. after hes 21 when it will drop in price anyway.
        Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
        My choice
        Back off

Comment

I think technically that's classed as fraud. A lot of companies are cracking down on it these days.

The simple rule of insurance seems to be if it's in your favour you're either not covered or you're breaking the law.

At least Dick Turpin wore a mask.

Comment

Jon there is an Irish Insurance company Quinn Direct and they cater for younger drivers.If you insure it in your name and put the boys name on it aswell it should be cheap.We did it for our 18yr old with a fiesta.It was put as Mandy as main driver and the boy as named driver and it came out as just over £500 fully comp.The boy was a learner aswell
            http://www.quinn-direct.co.uk/.
            When the lads car was stolen and written off he had a cheque in 4 weeks
            We found them very good and helpful
            https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by Ambobeer View Post
              Don't get me wrong. I sympathise with the fact that hard working people struggle to pay for fuel and insurance.

But the insurance market is a massively competitive one. If all of the insurance companies were raking off huge profits, then someone would step in and steal the whole market share by charging sensible rates. Given the raft of comparison services no available and the efficiency of comparison resulting from the internet, insurance is about as close to perfect competition as you get.

So if you want a villain in the high prices, I suspect the insurance companies are the wrong target.

Other (better) targets are a) the huge number of people who although they would never steal a ten pound note seem to think that bumping a claim up an insurance claim by a few hundred or thousand is perfectly acceptable because it is a "victimless" crime and b) those irresponsible 18 - 21 year old drivers who are disproportionately responsible for accidents and make it impossible for the small number of sensible ones. Oh and those feckin Meerkats. Irritating little gets.

Comment

Originally posted by Ambobeer View Post
                I think technically that's classed as fraud. A lot of companies are cracking down on it these days.

The simple rule of insurance seems to be if it's in your favour you're either not covered or you're breaking the law.

If you have a named driver, there is normally a stipulation that the vehicle is not for their "primary use". If you have an 18 year old who wants to be able to drive a family car used by all, then no problem. But if the reality is that the car is for their use only, and will never be driven by you, then be very careful. At best they may refuse to pay out in the event of a big claim (and if he runs over a banker with 5 kids then that will be a very big claim indeed). And at worst it may be fraud.

A bit of sense is needed - If you have three cars in the family, then they may want some assurance that one of them is not just for him. And if it happens to be a hot hatch with lowered suspension neon underlighting and a baked bean can exhaust, they may be sceptical that his vicar dad is the main driver of it. But just because they take your cash doesn't mean that they accept what you have told them. A big claim will always bring them sniffing about.

Comment

...and one of the first places they love to sniff are networking sites and forums like this.

Comment

Just renewed mine for the Surf (footman james) - bit of a shocker started at £526 and with a bit of haggling we agreed on £473, still nearly £120 more than last year and I've built up another years ncb on the policy.

Comment

Well, I've just bought a Nissan Terrano (to order, not for me)
                      I got temporary insurance for it. The seller told me the reg was DBS
                      he didn't understand when I said 'Delta Bravo Sierra' But kept saying DBS.
                      Anyway I insured it £70
                      Went to pick the thing up and the reg is DVS. I rung them and they said "tough" take out a new policy.
                      B0ll0cks.
                      Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Mines over £800 with Adrian Flux. Im 30 with 2 years no claims.

What really hikes it up is the fact i work in a licensed premises.

Takes the #### as i dont even drink.

Comment

Originally posted by jotto View Post
                          We have just been on go compare to get an insurance quote for my 18 year old step son on a 1l corsa, £3500 and they wonder why there are so many uninsured drivers on the road. How the hell do they think an 18 year old can afford these silly amounts the rip off merchants want
                          cos they know parents will pay
                          Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Originally posted by Kiter View Post
                            Just renewed mine for the Surf (footman james) - bit of a shocker started at £526 and with a bit of haggling we agreed on £473, still nearly £120 more than last year and I've built up another years ncb on the policy.
                            Just had the same thing today, last year paid £410, this year £500, no claims or anything in the past year.
                            If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Mine was £304 last year, 30years old with full no-claims.
                              This year renewal came through £857.13, told them no way i was paying that, so they re-quoted as a new policy and got it to £408!!!
                              Shame really as im just waiting to see if it will be written off after a lorry took out the rear quarter
                              My brakes dont work, so i made the horn louder.

Comment

Working...
                              X