WVO user's Help !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by biosurf View Post
    just a thought, and this may be my memory playing tricks on me but I have a sneaking suspicion that they see amking biodiesel as being seperate to just filtering and using veg. I could be wrong but if you speak to someone and you start getting any negative answers try saying that you are converting it to biodiesel and see if its any better.
    Second time in one day.

If you're making Biodiesel, it is no longer seen as waste while filtered veg oil is waste until it's burned.

Even better if you use a ionic exchange media for final washing, then it meets all quality requirements of biodiesel.

There are other benefits of bio over filter which include more mpg, power and the ability to start the engine on bio in winter. ( with the right additives which mix easier with bio)

I've calculated the cost of manufacture, with everything included ie. electricity, water, cetane improver, ionic exchange media and winter additive and assuming the oil is free, the cost is 26p/ltr in winter and 20p/ltr in summer. So the machine payed for itself within 3 months.

Comment

Interesting stuff. Thanks. How have you found bio has dealt with any of the rubber elements of the Surf?

BTW to anyone using veg. You could just tell them you're making bio

Note to any newbies reading this, Beware of many commercially sold (i.e. ebay) biodiesel processors. Many are incredibly dangerous and lots of people have been seriously injured. Do your research first here www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk

Comment

I keep a watchful eye on the fuel pump, up to date there isn't a leak. I wash the bio 4 or 5 times with water after glyserol seperation and only when the water is nearly clear do I dry it. I dry until there's no more smell of methanol and then I pass it through the ion exchange until it smells of linseed oil.

I figure that if there isn't any methoxide left and its ph balanced the action on the seals will be minimal.

The only problem is finding enough oil to keep the beast fed.

Comment

Jess here's another link of use http://www.biopowered.co.uk/wiki/Rules_and_Regulations

About half way down page there is a selection of PDF files. They contain waste transfer notes. You can either fill one in every uplift or have one as a season ticket.

I just started filling these in for this year,so the guy i collect from has somethin to cover him. I just put a start date on WTN and keep a wee table of what i uplift.
          Its also maybe worth keeping records of what you use in your truck. As long as it below the 2499 lts over the year.
          www.scottishmudclub.com for scottish events

Comment

All very good points guys ..... but I'm stumped to understand why !!!

WVO use (with or without diesel) is just not green n simple as it seems to be, "scratch head" ....
            Yet WVO for making Bio with "chemicals" (more explosive) results in a chemical waste mixture that has to be disposed off responsibly .. or am I missing summat

Jess
            nearly 10 years of Surfs
            "Cos short cuts can cost more in the long run"
            Buncefield Burner

Comment

Ya sneaked that in quickly Fraser but a very valid point mate ...
              I haven't keep to a rigid booking system as I very rarely use half of the 48 litres a week, baring in mind I may exceed this for a Clog week end / Road Trips etc but sure I don't exceed 2499 litre a year...

Jess
              nearly 10 years of Surfs
              Buncefield Burner

Comment

Originally posted by Diezel Weazel View Post
                All very good points guys ..... but I'm stumped to understand why !!!

WVO use (with or without diesel) is just not green n simple as it seems to be, "scratch head" ....
                Yet WVO for making Bio with "chemicals" (more explosive) results in a chemical waste mixture that has to be disposed off responsibly .. or am I missing summat

Jess
                nearly 10 years of Surfs
                I think it's likely because "biodiesel" = a good vote winning buzz word "waste vegetable oil" doesn't.
                It also wouldn't surprise me if that kind of crap comes from the green lobby as much as anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by biosurf View Post
                  I think it's likely because "biodiesel" = a good vote winning buzz word "waste vegetable oil" doesn't.
                  It also wouldn't surprise me if that kind of crap comes from the green lobby as much as anywhere else.

Very True Paul !!

ps. Hows the Truck coming on ?

Jess
                  nearly 10 years of Surfs
                  Buncefield Burner

Comment

Hopefully seeing Dr Anglegrinder next week so fingers crossed all will be well soon

Comment

Working...
                    X