Salt Water / Surf's and Undersealing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salt Water / Surf's and Undersealing

Right, i drive mine on the beach and its wet. How long before my undercarriage rots thru due to salt water ?

Its not undersealed.

How long have i got ?

!!!! eeek!!!!
    Nili secundum desperandum

I spent 4 hours yesterday spraying waxoyle underneath my nice clean motor.
    £28 for 5 litres and a jumbo sprayer.
    I would jetwash your chassis and let it dry out then spend a few hours under there with the waxoyle.
    Ian
    One day my paranoia will go away!

Comment

Well if you wash all the sand etc off you should not have a problem. The thing is if you leave sand mud etc stuck to the underside the water will have somewhere to lodge and thats what rots it out. You should invest in a set (4) of car inspection ramps and drive up on them and get under there with your hose and a bit of a stick and poke any mud off the chassis etc. A place to watch is the rear wheel well inner lip. That place can hold an AMAZING amount of crud.

See my post New Purchase of myself and a mate on the beach in Kerry...

Comment

Originally posted by Cmar
        Well if you wash all the sand etc off you should not have a problem. The thing is if you leave sand mud etc stuck to the underside the water will have somewhere to lodge and thats what rots it out. You should invest in a set (4) of car inspection ramps and drive up on them and get under there with your hose and a bit of a stick and poke any mud off the chassis etc. A place to watch is the rear wheel well inner lip. That place can hold an AMAZING amount of crud.

See my post New Purchase of myself and a mate on the beach in Kerry...

its that post that made me post this one! LOL.

Well after 5 hours kitesurfing I never have the time nor energy to do the wash thing. IO take her to the car wash and do the under body jobbie but i dont trust those places at all. Gonna have to find more time from somewhere. anyjobs on farscape ?
        Nili secundum desperandum

Comment

£80.00+vat to get mine undersealed,off the road for 2 days(I can handle the price,but being without the Surf for 2 WHOLE DAYS!!!!!)
          Powered by ????

Comment

Prior to auction in Japan your Surf haves probably got a good jet wash underneath- making it LOOK fairly clean. If you unbolt the plastic sheath over the fuel filler line (drivers side rear wheel arch). Under here you will find 10 years worth of Japense mud and grime- enough to fill half a bucket in my cars case!!

I suggest every one doing an underseal job cleans under here and puts in plenty of Waxoyl- as this is one place where mud/water/salt/rust will start. Another instance where DIY is best- you can bet a garage underseal job will overlook this one.

Comment

Originally posted by RobD
              £80.00+vat to get mine undersealed,off the road for 2 days(I can handle the price,but being without the Surf for 2 WHOLE DAYS!!!!!)
              Rob, I need to get mine undersealed but would prefer to get a garage to do it. Did you just go to your local garage or did it have to go somewhere special?

Comment

Originally posted by Dolph
                Rob, I need to get mine undersealed but would prefer to get a garage to do it. Did you just go to your local garage or did it have to go somewhere special?
                A car body repair shop Dolph.