yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi Peeps, newbie here looking for some advice....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Peeps, newbie here looking for some advice....

Hi, the name is hesh. ive been around the forums for a while, mostly inthe skyline world and landrover (both leaf sprung and coil)

I am looking for a truck to slowly convert to an overland type of vehicle, with long distance european trips in mind.

At present ive narrowed things down to two chioces,, either a discovery 3 door series one or, the hilux surf.

I havea couple of mates who do the green oval landy thing and have been in many a disco, but sadly ive no direct comparison with a surf.

But the little research ive done has made me curious....I am no stranger to the Jap import market, and there's allot of things in the surf cabin that superficially at least look similar to my curent skyline/stagea (both nissans) the seat mechanism for starters.

so...long story short, hi, i am here to get as much info and knowledge about the surf and its potential, and if anyone has one near durham that they would be willing to show me round i'd be a happy boy!

thanks
    Last edited by Hesh; 2 April 2011, 15:58. Reason: 3am spelling!

first newbie type question...

ive been reading about narrow and wide body varienets. does this corelate with the series 2/3 change over or am o missing something?

also can anyone tell me what insurance group these trucks are?

and finally average mpg for the manual variants with diesel engines?

Ta.

Comment

Hello welcome

3.0 ltr 2nd gen surf would be good for overlanding in my opinion
      “Do or do not... there is no try.”

Comment

Originally posted by puddlesurfer View Post
        Hello welcome

oh? i was looking at the smaller engined versions.. are they underpowered?

and is there a 3.0l with manual transmission?

Comment

Just doing the mpg thing now on the 3 litre 3rd gen. Filled the tank on 50/50. veg oil/ diesel. Half on a run, half about town. 300 miles so far and the warning light isn`t on yet. Probably going to end up 25 mpg

Comment

Originally posted by Hesh View Post
            oh? i was looking at the smaller engined versions.. are they underpowered?

and is there a 3.0l with manual transmission?
            Yes you can get a manual, I have a 3rd gen manual at the min and get 30mpg if that figure is a consideration. The auto's will be around 25mpg unless they are lifted and running larger tyres, it then drops to about 18mpg on a good day.
            Brian

Comment

I've got a 3 litre SSRX thats a manual and i also live near (ish) to Durham if you want to come over one afternoon for a brew and to cast your eye over Daisy (my surf). I'm over at Trimdon Village if you know where that is?
              If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes.

Comment

Originally posted by puddlesurfer View Post
                Hello welcome

Hope it is or I'm buggered..... Roof tent goes on next Saturday...
                .... Which was nice.

Comment

Im doing the same thing. I started with with a 2nd gen 2.4 and found it underpowered. And read so much about the 2.4 having overheating problems resulting in cracked heads that i then went and got a 3.0l. Ended up getting a 3.0l 3rd gen but i dont see that makes much difference. Im also using an auto transmission. I actually prefer manuals but have actually found the auto very good offroad although it is more thirsty.

Comment

Mines a 3.0L gen 2 auto, get about 22-24 mpg to work and back, 36mile round trip.
                    18-20 around town.
                    Leicester and back from Chelmsford, 240 mile round tip, best about 29 mpg.
                    Last edited by 12 Bore; 2 April 2011, 19:00.

Comment

thanks all

Thats brill, looks likea 3.0 is the one then.

one other thing, whats the wheelbase? i assume the truck is much longer than a disco (100 inch wb) ?

its not intended to be a huge chalenge truck or anything, but just thinking of off road ability with the landcruiser springs, plus aproach angles and stuff.

whats the sorta things i should look out for mechincally onthe 3.0?

Comment

hello, bud. thank you!

Originally posted by daisy710 View Post
                        I've got a 3 litre SSRX thats a manual and i also live near (ish) to Durham if you want to come over one afternoon for a brew and to cast your eye over Daisy (my surf). I'm over at Trimdon Village if you know where that is?
                        That would be fantastic, i don't appear to have private messaging ability on here, so could you let me know when its convenient?

also would need your post code. And, rather cheeckily i was goning to bring along the co driver, so could you spare a couple of brews?

si.

Comment

Approach angles on a surf are kind of rubbish, but the ride and build quality are way ahead of a disco. You would certainly be better off with a 3.0 than a 2.4 and an auto will be more reliable than a manual, although neither is ropey.

The difference between wide and narrow body is kind of irrelevant. Wide body means that it has wheelarch extensions. Most of the later ones are wide body anyway. 3rd gen is 'better' than 2nd gen but looks a bit girly.

They're very good, reliable machines. All models have a weakness on the cylinder head, but this is relative in so much as the head tends to go first because everything else is solid.

A Landcruiser is a better overlander than a Surf, if you can afford one, but the surf will probably do you fine. Have a look at Bundubasher's site. He has done an awful lot of overlanding in a Surf, had issues of course, but kept going:

http://www.africa4x4cafe.com/

Comment

thanks..

really interesting read.

I think the Africva thing is a bit daunting for me, so our plans are to do a european expedition, which will likely as not be on road with forays into the greenlanes and a tracks as able... (the GF suggested the alps the other day, and the northern areas suchas greenland etc have facinated me... i want to go see the northern lights)

Africa ....maybe after we've done a few big trips.

It does seem that the surf is an underrated truck....bit of dark horse.

can i ask ...whats is the weakness that is often mentioned withthe engine heads? how exactly do they fail?

Comment

if you wanting a look at truck and your up consett way today,could be up for a coffee at mc donalds

Comment

Working...
                              X