Common problem, yet to find the answer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Common problem, yet to find the answer

Im am suffering from the same problem as these guys did.

Or to saving you reading those, Basicaly a rattle from under front wheel area when going over pot holes and rough ground and an occasional clunk. Noise only really noticable with window down.

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=13771

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthrea...t=32608&page=3

Having thought i had found my solution in these post i then read 3rd gens dont how this problem.

Extract taken from post made by Toni N

**EDIT, just noticed you have a 3rd gen! Disregard all the above, it don't work, you don't have the bushes. The wheel bearing supports the hub, and the driveshaft goes straight in to that. Look somewhere else for you noise.

I have been unable to find anything on this problem on 3rd gens. Spent about 2 hours today under the car and cannot find anything loose.

Only thing i found wrong is unrelated, a small leak from the big nut on the power steering pump.

Yep I have this noise too! Thank god I read your links mate, I can get it done now!

The times I've been under there tryin to find something loose!!!
    www.vidamusic.co.uk

Comment

Matt your Ball Joints will be buggered.
      Last edited by yoshie; 29 March 2011, 22:38.
      Brian

Comment

Got all brand new BJ's mate, and it's still doin it. Reading that 1st article about the bronze bushes makes sense..
        www.vidamusic.co.uk

Comment

It could be cheap, badly fitting/fitted brake pads.
          Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

I'm answering the OP, Vidal's issue is probably Bronze Bushes.

Comment

Originally posted by VidaMusic View Post
              Got all brand new BJ's mate, and it's still doin it. Reading that 1st article about the bronze bushes makes sense..
              Was talking to the 3rd gen owner
              Brian

Comment

sounds daft i know but i had a rattle and found it to be 2 loose bump stops ??? tightend these up and silent again...

Comment

Originally posted by arron View Post
                  sounds daft i know but i had a rattle and found it to be 2 loose bump stops ??? tightend these up and silent again...
                  That's not daft, one of my rattles was a bump stop. On my 2.4, the clunk from the rear suspension was the jack loose in its cubby hole.

Comment

yeah, never rule anything out, I spent ages hunting to an noise only to find it was an aerosol can in the boot with ball bearings in it rolling from side to side...

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                      I'm answering the OP, Vidal's issue is probably Bronze Bushes.
                      So soon?

Comment

Originally posted by rustinho View Post
                        so soon?

Comment

Originally posted by arron View Post
                          I have read that before so went looking for them. To be honest not entirely sure where they are. Presumed they are basically end stops for your steering. Looked but could not find any thing loose. The only thing i thought you would call a bump stop was a fixed component and not possible to be loose.

Is this so on a 3rd gen or am i entirely in the wrong place?

Comment

above the lower wishbones there are round rubber bumpers bolted to brackets on the chassis that stop the wishbone moving to far up.
                            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
                              Matt your Ball Joints will be buggered.
                              Is there any way to confirm this?

Had it jacked up under the chasis (with the suspension free) gave it a good shake, push pull wobble and everything seemed solid.

Only thing i found was a little play backward and forward (along the same axis as drive shafts) in the front drive shafts. But i thought this to be normal.

Comment

Working...
                              X