No announcement yet.

Coolant issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok new development , I've just got down to Manchester and I've used more diesel than normal! Also when I pulled away from lights I heard a water bubbly noise like a Turkish pipe or bong or babbling brook for the non smokers!!
    When I parked up I revved the engine to about 1800rpm and I heard it again! Has anyone got a clue out of the 320 views??!!!
    Thanks

Comment

If it is bubbling into the expansion tank I would guess the head has went mate.
      Brian

Comment

The expansion tank level will move around depending on the temperature of the engine (as Tony has already said).

DO NOT check the water level with the engine hot.

If you are losing water, you either have an internal leak, an external leak, or you've ####ed off the water fairies.

On balance though, the head is probably cracked.
        Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Ok thanks, I knew the bottle level changed due to temp so I'd mark it in the morning when it was cold and check it again when it was cold again and I wouldn't undo the rad cap when it was hot!!! The thing is that it drives fine no power loss decent acceleration and no overheating!! I will book it into a garage and get a compression test done, if the head is cracked I'll probably sell it to a breaker if the repair bill is gonna be high!

Comment

Originally posted by noobysurfer View Post
            Ok thanks, I knew the bottle level changed due to temp so I'd mark it in the morning when it was cold and check it again when it was cold again and I wouldn't undo the rad cap when it was hot!!! The thing is that it drives fine no power loss decent acceleration and no overheating!! I will book it into a garage and get a compression test done, if the head is cracked I'll probably sell it to a breaker if the repair bill is gonna be high!
            If the head is gone and you do decide to sell up, give me a shout.
            Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Just a heads up on the surf,no pun intended !! The coolant problem was caused by a warped head so never overheated just used coolant a lot! Apparently the gasket had been done before but the head wasn't skimmed and needed to be put through twice due to the warp. So hopefully that's it sorted now but I've noticed that when I turn the engine off it judders or wobbles now but never did before, any ideas as to why??

Comment

Take it back and get them to sort it. the diagnosis sounds a bit odd
                SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

How's it sound odd? I'm not too confident about him anyway!!

Comment

mate can i suggest that you get hold of one of the guys up your end of the woods to have a good look at your truck. i remember reading that its unusual for a gasket to go, but not unheard of. the main problem seems to be the head cracks. Are you sure that he changed the gasket, head bolts ect? worth asking for the recieptshow long did it take him? he may well have done a grood job and he has just connected a pipe up wrong
                    SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Here is why I think it sounds odd. Its unusual ( of course not impossible) for just a head gasket to go. With these trucks its usually the head.
                      The head is cast iron and more likely to crack before it warps, so the warp thing sounds iffy too.
                      More important than the wobble. Is your coolant issue definitely fixed ?
                      I take it this is not the sort of garage that would lob in some steel seal or something just to get you out of their hair ?
                      Сви можемо

Comment

The rough shutdown could be the vacuum pipes not correctly attached.
                        Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Thanks for the help lads as this is a bit outta my mech skills!! I phoned him today about the rough shutdown and he reckons it is a compression issue due to the skimming. I haven't had the surf out for long enough to know if it resolved as I get a lift to work down here,nor have I had a chance to get a look under the bonnet. It's Totally pi&Ģing me off now as it's been major hassle getting it sorted down here and trying to get up and down the road at the weekend and it's still not right. I should have sold it straightaway, saved me the bother!!! Thanks again for all your help people I appreciate it,James

Comment

dont be dispondent mate, just get someone who knows these trucks to give it a once over, there are forum members on here who might be willing for a few beers
                            SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Working...
                            X