Budget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Budget

So, what do we all think of the budget? 1p a litre off fuel prices? Fantastic! Oh, wait, it went up yesterday by 2p a litre, so I'm still worse off!

I keep hearing talks about fuel strikes, but they never seem to happen. People say, it's pointless and it won't work, I think these people are the problem! They just bend over and take it, when the truth is, we have the ability to run this country and not be targeted by the government. The French don't take it, so why do we?

Why don't they drop the fuel duty and increase duty on alcohol and fags instead? I smoke, but I don't need fags to survive, I do however need fuel! It'd be a good reason to quit too!

Here here, Diesel is 1.40 a litre here now (well 139.9!) I drive 60 miles a day to work and back and it`s absolutely crippling me, turn to the government for advice and they tell you to look at public transport (even dearer than driving), car share.... Er no I live in Grimsby, for obvious reasons I`d rather not! Or!!!! The grand finale... I could apply for a grant to buy a push bike! To pedal the 60 miles a day on, because setting off at half five in the morning to arrive for half eight and not getting home until eight at night is clearly the way forward?

Seriously though it`s beyond the joke now, not everyone can have a job on their doorstep and fuel prices are stopping people from being able to work further afield, what`s to be done? I`m not sure, but I`m sure there will be a few ideas to follow and if there are any good one`s then I`m behind them

Comment

I must be part of the problem then. I chose to drive a vehicle that struggles to do 20mpg, if I cared about the price of fuel, I'd buy a Bluemotion.

Just to reiterate my points; I don't give a monkey's fcuk what fuel costs, and I get royally pi$$ed off when people tell me I should care.
      Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

That's the point! We should be able to drive what we want without having to worry about fuel costs! I'm not saying we should all drive bluemotion cars, I'm saying we shouldnt be lining the pockets of the government by paying aso much fuel tax! Tell me you'd complain if fuel was cheaper??!!

Comment

Originally posted by fingers21 View Post
          That's the point! We should be able to drive what we want without having to worry about fuel costs! I'm not saying we should all drive bluemotion cars, I'm saying we shouldnt be lining the pockets of the government by paying aso much fuel tax! Tell me you'd complain if fuel was cheaper??!!
          I can drive pretty much what I want and I don't worry about fuel costs, so I'm happy. It's not my fault if someone else can't afford to drive a particular vehicle because it uses too much fuel.
          Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Why should we be able to drive what we want without having to worry about how much it costs?

Hang on - I think you're onto something here.

I'd quite like a fleet of Ferraris. A different coloured one for every day of the week. How about a nice Roller for special occasions too?

Oh, hang on. I can't afford it so I cut my cloth accordingly.

Yes, fuel tax is high. It is, however, lower than it used to be as a percentage of it's overall cost. In 2001 tax was about 80% of the cost of fuel, today it is about 60% of the overall cost.

And you say "lining the pockets of the government" as if they're wandering off into the sunset stashing the money into a Swiss bank account or something. Someone has to pay for the health service, education, etc. and it all comes out of taxation.

If you don't like it vote for someone different at the next election, or failing that set up your own political party and persuade people to your point of view.

EDIT:

Incidentally, I think the budget was pretty much what was to be expected. The interesting bits were the hints as to what might be in the pipeline for a few years time.

Personally, I think it wouldn't be surprising if national insurance was combined into the income tax system and the top rate of income tax (50% rate) was quietly dropped as part of these proposals with the ceiling on NI contributions effectively being lifted as part of the "big change". This will probably be done is such a way as to make everyone think that they're better off when in fact we'll actually end up paying more somehow...

And I don't care about cigarettes going up 50p a pack cos I don't smoke. I hardly drink either so that barely affects me either, although I think it'd be nice if they introduced a much lower (as near to zero as possible!) rate of revenue on beer brewed at small brewers (eg a local one to me would be the Titanic Brewery) to stimulate small local businesses and get people off the fizzy mass produced alcopops/extra strong lagers that the local youths drink down the park.

Lowering the business rates looks a good sign too. We might as well poach back some of the big business companies that have located elsewhere while taxes have been excessively high in the UK over the last 15 years or so.

Nothing good on the pensions front though - Gordon Browns £billions that came out of taxing pension schemes doesn't look like it'll be addressed until we're out of the hole we're in so look at the next general election for peoples bright ideas about BOGOF pension schemes funded by government to try & reduce the long term burden on tax payers.

Oh yeah, expect something that looks like a giveaway budget in 2014/15 when the next general election is looming and the government wants everyone to like them again so they'll be re-elected!

*and breathe*

Well, you did ask! lol
            Last edited by Rustinho; 24 March 2011, 02:29.

Comment

This wins a prize for the least sensible opinion expressed on this board this week. And there is some stiff competition!

And I win a prize for most grumpy still-working-at-0221-but-need-a-break-to-read-stuff-on-here git on the board this week.

Comment

I'm going to have to up my game here, because as far as crazy statements go mr fingers, that one thinks it's Napoleon.
                Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Fuel prices suck, you can't increase them this much for so long. People rely on their cars because that's the way the country is setup nothing is local anymore.
                  I'm not telling anyone they need to be upset, but I'm ####ing upset. What use is a smart car to me? I want to tow horse trailers, take our dogs places, go offroad, go to the pub, buy things I want, etc...
                  All the above I have to think twice over now, because all spare money goes on fuel. That's not the lifestyle I signed up for.
                  It blows, I want to get out, not stay at home and watch TV
                  4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Two things I am very happy about are the charity provisions.

You can now leave 10% of your total estate to charity and if you do then your nearest and dearest will pay 10% less inheritance tax. So effectively you can give a big wedge to charity for nothing.

Also they've changed the admin around small charities claiming Gift Aid which can only be good.

Caveat to this is that via recent statutory funding cuts this govt have Bren roundly fecking charities roughly from behind for months now which the above will not come close to offsetting but at least there was something positive in it for voluntary orgs.

So don't forget all, next time you make/change your Will, make that gift and choose carefully

On a separate note, Rustinho you have my vote at the next election.

Comment

The main fact is that a few years ago tax accounted for near 83% of the fuel price now it is 65% the real villains are the oil refiners and oil producing companies. VAT is now the new fiscal saviour
                      Death rides a Black Horse

Comment

Originally posted by biosurf View Post
                        Two things I am very happy about are the charity provisions.

You can now leave 10% of your total estate to charity and if you do then your nearest and dearest will pay 10% less inheritance tax. So effectively you can give a big wedge to charity for nothing.

Also they've changed the admin around small charities claiming Gift Aid which can only be good.

Caveat to this is that via recent statutory funding cuts this govt have Bren roundly fecking charities roughly from behind for months now which the above will not come close to offsetting but at least there was something positive in it for voluntary orgs.

So don't forget all, next time you make/change your Will, make that gift and choose carefully

On a separate note, Rustinho you have my vote at the next election.
                        Yes big sigh of relief for us at Aeroventure, gift aid has helped us enormously in the past
                        Death rides a Black Horse

Comment

If you read my last statement properly, it say we should be able to drive what we want without worrying about FUEL cost! What the #### has that to do with not being able to buy a fleet of ferrari's?

Comment

If you read my last statement properly, it say we should be able to drive what we want without worrying about FUEL cost! What the #### has that to do with not being able to buy a fleet of ferrari's?
                            I think his point is you have to live with in your means, I'd love to buy a muscle car but even if I could afford to buy one I couldn't afford to drive anywhere because I'd get 6mpg.
                            I agree fuel is too expensive though - I work shifts, so I don't have an alternative to driving, I can't afford 2 cars but I don't want to have to give up my Surf.
                            “Do or do not... there is no try.”

Comment

Fuel prices... Yawn...

It's going to run out one day - probably in my son's lifetime. Things becoming scarce become expensive. Fact of life.

The fact that governments tax it is irrelevant. Countries cost a certain amount to run, ergo they will raise the tax somewhere. Tax off fuel = tax somewhere else.

Anyone who cant afford to run a Surf has the option of buying something cheaper to run - walking a bit more - using a bike etc etc. The amount of people I hear moaning about the price of fuel then jumping in the car to drive their kids 1/2 mile to school is just obscene.

Them's the facts. By all means go and blockade some roads if you think it'll make an iota of difference, but you'd better not get 1p knocked off the price of a litre if it means 2p on a pint with the beer festival season approaching!!
                              Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Working...
                              X