memory map

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• memory map

hi can anyone say if a device like this one on e bay,,320661077739 could be used to display and use with memory maps? i am not a massive tech and deffo dont want a laptop in the vehicle with me, i do need a sat nav for a couple of trips coming up-1 to italy and one to central france and i would love memory maps for the greenlanes that i do all over, i look at the memory map site and it does not fully explain to a non tech like me how or what it will work on, any help would be great, regards, kirk.

From it's description I would say it won't run Memory map on it, but I could be wrong.

I would suggest something like a cheap laptop or small netbook would be your best option, along with a compatible GPS dongle.

Comment

To run memory map you need either something running on windows, some of the windows mobile software or an I Phone

Like Growler said laptop, netbook or a windows powered PDA

Comment

Makes you wonder what we did before sat nav.... Oh yeah..spent a few quid on a paper map and read the road signs..
        .... Which was nice.

Comment

never owned a sat nav yet and have travelled all over europe, it would be well usefull when trying to find my hotel after a hard days drive, sometimes it takes over an hour to find it even though you have driven 400 miles or so!

Comment

You can also get one of those PDA with built in GPS thingys to run MM. But as mentioned a wee 7" notebook with GPS dongle would be ideal.
            Last edited by smiffy; 19 March 2011, 19:51.
            www.scottishmudclub.com for scottish events

Comment

Got myself a Dell Axim for work, you can get a gps thingy for it, wonder if it`ll work on that
              Not too expensive look here

Comment

I know you said you didnt want a laptop but have you looked at the Panasonic Toughbooks? I use a CF-18 and it`s an awesome little bit of kit, 10 inch rotatable touchscreen so you can use it as a tablet, you can get them with built in GPS to use any windows software you like but the best bit, You can get them wet, drop them, stamp on them, run them over, cover them with mud and they`ll still switch on and work!

Comment

Originally posted by JD_975 View Post
                  I know you said you didnt want a laptop but have you looked at the Panasonic Toughbooks? I use a CF-18 and it`s an awesome little bit of kit, 10 inch rotatable touchscreen so you can use it as a tablet, you can get them with built in GPS to use any windows software you like but the best bit, You can get them wet, drop them, stamp on them, run them over, cover them with mud and they`ll still switch on and work!
                  That looks boss, might get me one of those

Comment

thanks for your reply chaps, your responses have been usefull, just seems a shame that you cant combine a sat nav with a memory map overlay type thingy, cant see where i would fit/mount any kind of laptop nomatter how small, i have a old sony viao and dongle that i have used with mirosoft gps and it works ok, space is the issue, thanks again

Comment

Never even heard of this but just downloaded the app on iPhone for it, cheers
                      www.vidamusic.co.uk

Comment

I have a Dell Axim 51V PDA which I used to use with Memory Map for off roading. I bought a 16 gig flash card for it so it can hold a lot of maps. It also has Tomtom 5 and Igo 8 sat nav on it. It links to a GPS unit via Bluetooth. It comes with all accessories including an in car holder.

I don't think I'll be using it again, so look out for it in the for sale section if you're interested.
                        'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Comment

could be interested, cant pm you

Comment

Originally posted by kpautos View Post
                            could be interested, cant pm you
                            Pay your subs & you get access to the PM feature.

Comment

HIJACK: I've never had a sat nav!
                              I might be tempted to get one, is a TomTom the way to go? They are about £100 from Halfrauds
                              “Do or do not... there is no try.”

Comment

Working...
                              X