Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• turbo timer

hi all,

i dont know if this subject has been posted before, but i cant find it, so i'm gonna ask for your advice?
    is a turbo timer useful? is it required? if there is one, will it effect the installation of an alarm?
    please advise.

civic

Originally posted by civic888
    hi all,

i dont know if this subject has been posted before, but i cant find it, so i'm gonna ask for your advice?
    is a turbo timer useful? is it required? if there is one, will it effect the installation of an alarm?
    please advise.

civic
    Turbo timer is the same as letting the engine tick over for a couple of minutes if the turbos worked hard before you want to switch the engine off.
    As for the alarm, some cheaper alarms it could effect if they have a voltage sensor built in. The better alarms Clifford etc deal with the timer ok even with a voltage sensor on them.
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

Turbo Timer

Hi Tim, l find a turbo timer is just another gaget that is not realy needed by the average person, although l do have one on my Landcruiser and l have a Thatchan cat 1 alarm on it as well and it does not interfear with it, and l have had the Landcruiser over 6 years now no problems at all.
      Live Life To The Full

Comment

How hard do you have to use the vehicle before considering whether to let it idle or not.
        We use ours for 12 miles on the M4 to work and have not let them sit a while..... yet.
        [COLOR=yellow]Ditch[/COLOR]
        3.0 L SSRX Ltd Manual 1994 (MINE)
        2.4 L SSRX 1993 Manual (hers)

Comment

Originally posted by Ditch
          How hard do you have to use the vehicle before considering whether to let it idle or not.
          We use ours for 12 miles on the M4 to work and have not let them sit a while..... yet.
          How far from the M4 do you live, it must do a little driving from getting off the motorway to stopping time, this will cool things a little anyway.

The only time I could see it being an issue is 90mph for a while down the M/way, dive into the services and instantly turn it off! which isn't healthy for any sort of engine, turbo or not.
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

so people, do you reckon by not letting it cool down properly after a run. it is the cause of the head cracking?

Comment

No the cool down period is specifically to protect the Turbo
              [size=4][font=franklin gothic medium][color=lime]Every Day Above Ground is a Good Day[/color][/font][/size]
              [img]http://www.vertueren.gb.com/welshflag.gif[/img] [color=red]Gods Country[/color]

Comment

Originally posted by civic888
                so people, do you reckon by not letting it cool down properly after a run. it is the cause of the head cracking?
                Nah, the main reason is that is you turn off a motor with a red hot turbo, it cooks the oil in the the unit which then ruins the bearing later, ruins any seals plus the cast exhaust manifold may creak if quickly cooled, leaving it ticking over lets the engine oil (and water for front bearing) cool the turbo to a more respectable temp before turningthe motor off.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

you won't be able to arm the alarm with the turbo timer running the engine! other options are affected too, such as the "anti hijack" door locking... the doors will unlock when the timer switches off the ignition! oviously it only affects the alarm if it's being used so the alarm will function normally if the timer is off.
                  nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Working...
                  X