Gen 2 3l td auto box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gen 2 3l td auto box

Wrong part of forum but need a v.quick answer.

Just drained auto box,out came 4.5 litres of fluid,Haynes manual says 2.5 ???

Anybody know the correct amount please,much appreciated,Alan

just fill it back up to the cold mark on the dipstick - start it up - get it warm and move the selector through the gears - re check the hot level.

the dipstick doesnt lie about the amount of oil.

Comment

Originally posted by HONEST AL View Post

Sticky in the tech section on the forum says up to 4.5L of Dexron II ATF Fluid.

Comment

Auto box

Thank you all

Comment

Originally posted by HONEST AL View Post

Draining this way does not get all the fluid out. Using the line in/line out method is the best approach to replenish all the fluid if it has become worn or contaminated.
          Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Auto box problem

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
            Draining this way does not get all the fluid out. Using the line in/line out method is the best approach to replenish all the fluid if it has become worn or contaminated.
            Alan,how do.
            May be a bit dim,but not sure what you mean by "line in line out method" ???Alan

Comment

Where the ATF cooler is located in rad there are two hoses, a line in/line out. These can be detached and one end put into a large container of fresh ATF (the hose that goes 'to' the gearbox, you will need a lot of ATF, approx 30lts) and the other hose into a waste bucket to collect the old ATF that gets pumped out when you start the car. Move the gear lever through all positions and don't let the intake of ATF go dry, when good ATF starts to come out of the waste bucket hose it's all done.

Re attach hoses and do the checks for topping up autobox as previously described.
              Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Line in line out

Thanks Alan for that,dont have that on my surf as far as I know,but my old saab has,Saab use the drain and fill method,reckon it gets rid of about a third of the fluid at each go,so eventually new fluid,again Ta
                Last edited by HONEST AL; 17 March 2011, 23:58.

Comment

You don't have what on your Surf?
                  Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Missing surf bits

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                    You don't have what on your Surf?
                    Sorry Andy,asleep in a chair.Not really had a look under my Surf as yet but to the best of my knowledge I dont have a separate oil cooler,(or is it integral within the radiator).My Saab has the two pipes similiar to what Alan mentioned and they fit into one side of the radiator, but I am not sure my surf has them ( I could be wrong,I frequently am ).If you are about to tell me that they are normal on a surf then I will check tomorrow for sure.
                    Could that be why I got 4.5 litres of dexron out when I drained the box,and not 2.5 like the Haynes book said?.
                    Alan

Comment

Your Surf has them and the transmission cooler is integral with the radiator , at the bottom of it you will see said hoses, one each side. You can trace them from the transmission sump.
                      Сви можемо

Comment

Originally posted by Bogus View Post
                        Your Surf has them and the transmission cooler is integral with the radiator , at the bottom of it you will see said hoses, one each side. You can trace them from the transmission sump.
                        Ta

Comment

Working...
                        X