KZN185 from acrosss the pond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KZN185 from acrosss the pond

I have been unable to post elsewhere, so I thought I would try here. Might as well introduce myself while I'm at it. I have a 2004 Tacoma in the US that has the Surf 3.0TD swapped into it. There are a few issues that I am working out, but hope to have it up and running soon. I do sadly need an ECU though, if someone knows one for sale (PN 89661-3D240 for the auto).

Welcome to the nuthouse!
    Sweet looking truck.

Alan
    www.amcbs.webeden.co.uk www.xjrestorations.co.uk

Comment

Hello welcome
      “Do or do not... there is no try.”

Comment

Bonjour

Comment

[QUOTE=BeratE;704981]I have been unable to post elsewhere, so I thought I would try here. Might as well introduce myself while I'm at it. I have a 2004 Tacoma in the US that has the Surf 3.0TD swapped into it. There are a few issues that I am working out, but hope to have it up and running soon. I do sadly need an ECU though, if someone knows one for sale (PN 89661-3D240 for the auto).

Hello Joel. and welcome. Thats an interesting combination you've got, there. The 3.0TD is the same engine that goes in the KNZ130 Surf. The ECU from that may suit your needs, and there should be a few used ones for sale on here. There are some real experts on here who could tell you for sure.....Good luck....Mick.
          " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

Ecu

Hi you say you have put a 3litre T/D out of the Surf, first off what is the engine out of a KZN130 or a KZN185 have you put the matching gearbox in with it, what wiringloom are you using the original Tacoma or the Surf one.

Regards Hilux-Bob
            Live Life To The Full

Comment

Originally posted by Hilux View Post
              Hi you say you have put a 3litre T/D out of the Surf, first off what is the engine out of a KZN130 or a KZN185

89661-3D240 is a KZN185 Auto ECU.

Nev

Comment

welcome on board, loads of info on here the lads will have you sorted soon.
                15 years in shiny club, lovely

Comment

Hi lads,
                  Thanks for the welcome! It is indeed the KZN-185, with adapted Surf wiring and Surf automatic tranny (hope to swap to manual soon).

I now (in theory) have an ECU coming from Belarus, in addition to a turbo pressure sensor (nice to have an extra), so this should get me back on track. I have had the truck for about 6 months now, and have straightened a few things out, including botched engine harness, botched 4x4 wiring, and non-functional brakes.

The big issue I have been chasing the whole time is a very rough cold start for about a minute and a half, and then the engine suddenly changes character and idles smoothly. I checked every sensor, all the glow plugs, changed out all the electrolytic capacitors in the ECU (easy job and highly recommended for all trucks), and couldn't find anything wrong. I recently borrowed a buddy's shop manual and found a test that I had not done, which in trying to simulate the condition stated in the manual, burnt up my ECU. Turns out this portion of the manual was wrong! Defining the word irony, two days later I read a thread on ToyotaDiesel.com that mentioned a wire carrying a starter signal in the ignition column that if not hooked up, causes the timing to advance significantly until it warms up. It hit me that this must be the issue in my truck. Sure enough, I dug into the loom, and found that the fellow who originally performed the swap had used horrible crimp connections and one wire was hanging free. I ripped all the crimp connections out and soldered the lot. In theory my truck is now right as rain. I of course, have no way to test this until the replacement ECU comes. Patience is beginning to kill me!

Comment

Working...
                  X