sarting problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sarting problem

hi , can anyone help, have had to have the head on my 2.4 surf replaced due to over blown head gasket and since then it has suffered from poor cold starting. have changed the glow plugs and this seem o.k for a bit , but now it won't start from cold unless you press the acellerater slightly. runs fine and starts fine when warm.the air filter and fuel filter have also been replaced.
    tried it this morning without touching the accelerater and it was slow on the
    starter had to give it some diesel and smoke out the road.also it's a bit rough when running form cold.anyone one know a good mechanic or garage around south birmingham?

When I start mine from cold I have to hold the throttle slightly down, its fine for rest of the day then......As for garages cant help sorry

Comment

Glow plug fuse OK?

Comment

starting problems

Hi yes the fuse had to be changed when the muppet at the garage that rebuilt the head managed to short the top of one of the glow plugs to earth, found an inline filter attached to the underside of the floor above the fuel tank, will replace this as it looks pretty cruddy.thanks for the replies, love the surf but if this carries on might replace it with a Disc****y so anymore help will be gratefully recieved

Comment

Originally posted by halfpad View Post
          Hi yes the fuse had to be changed when the muppet at the garage that rebuilt the head managed to short the top of one of the glow plugs to earth, found an inline filter attached to the underside of the floor above the fuel tank, will replace this as it looks pretty cruddy.thanks for the replies, love the surf but if this carries on might replace it with a Disc****y so anymore help will be gratefully recieved
          Thats just a tank breather, (one way vent valve) just clean it.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
            Glow plug fuse OK?
            Isn't there a relay too?

Comment

Yes there is a relay it's on the passenger side wing and says glow plug relay next to that you a cylinder with 2 wires coming out of it it's the main resistor for the glow plugs if it's kaput it will struggle starting from cold. I've also had this issue along with many others and that was my cold start problem the resistor wasnt putting currant to the glow plugs.
              UBIQUE

Comment

Whats going on ? This is the 8th post and nobody has pointed out the "sarting problem" Spelling mistake

Comment

Originally posted by schrodingers-cat View Post
                  Whats going on ? This is the 8th post and nobody has pointed out the "sarting problem" Spelling mistake

If it happens before 7pm we let it go.

Comment

I`ll remember that one
                    If mine doesn't start i usually go for This method

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                      If it happens before 7pm we let it go.
                      I was just going to say I had big curry last night and I've got a bit of a sharting problem.

Comment

Well be careful then...a big frat, might turn into a fellow throw.
                        Sounds like relay to me BTW.
                        Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
                          Hmm interesting Fellow that GWH
                          Always room for more power!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
                            Eloquently put Gra

Jess
                            nearly 10 years of Surfs
                            "Cos short cuts can cost more in the long run"
                            Buncefield Burner

Comment

I only just found out about the clunk thing for the glow plugs. I thought you just waited for the light to go out....
                              Now I wait 10-15 secs for the clunk of the relay and it starts on the turn of the key.
                              Almost want it to be freezing one morning to see the difference - I have (very) cold weather starting issues, or maybe "had"..
                              "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
                              www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Working...
                              X