Licence change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Licence change

I being of jurassic age have the 'old paper licence' it is starting to look a bit tatty , constantly in and out of wallet for photocopying etc I was advised by Police Person to get it changed to the 'new type', We had a discussion late last night about this and somebody chipped in that 'the range of vehicles that you can drive changes' in other words things like 7.5ton is taken off etc can anybody clarify this for me ? The Police are not at all helpful (don't realy know) I could tell by the glazed look I got !
    Death rides a Black Horse

No nothing will change. Drivers who passed test b4 certain date allowed to drive 7.5tons and tow trailers etc. newer driver have to do extra test. Ur licence will just be the same except will have photocard bit too.

Comment

As far as i know it is only new licences that have this problem. I passed back in 1986 and my photo licence has all the same vehicle groops as my old paper one

D :glasses

Comment

Check it when you get it back, I've known people who have had classes dropped, but its sorted it out with a phone call.

Its more sloppy admin rather than anything nefarious.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

My old mans was changed, he had tracked classes on his old licence, dvla accidentally removed it when he gt his new photo licence. A bummer cos he's a tank driver in the army! They soon corrected it though.

Comment

Definitely check your licence when you get it back. Ideally take a photocopy of it before you send it off too.

A mate of mine lost his car licence and gained a bike licence when he sent his licence off quite a few years ago and the DVLA were a right pain over it. In the end he was forced into re-taking his test because the DVLA claimed they had no records to confirm he had previously had a car licence.

At least he didn't have to bother taking a bike test though...

Comment

If you apply on line. you WILL loose "granddad's
              rights" to drive 7.5 tonners, do it by post and it
              should be OK. But check on receipt of your new
              one to be sure.
              A few lads at work have fallen for this one.

Gman.
              If it aint broke, keep goin' till it is.

Comment

Thanks for the info Chaps, I think I will hang on a little longer ! Anybody from Dorset on here ?
                Death rides a Black Horse

Comment

There's a well documented case of a Police Motorcyclist losing his entitlement to ride motorcycles when he renewed his licence. He had to re-sit his test; which he did on a police liveried motorcycle (trails bike, he couldn't ride his Pan European).
                  Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Ment to say, it tends to be the 'extra' bits that get lost, the automatic entitlements are usually OK. This is 2nd hand hearsay, but I think the on-line update thing used to ask what additional entitlement was on the licence. If it wasn't ticked, it wasn't granted.
                    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Working...
                    X