Thanks to Albannach and Lord Flashart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks to Albannach and Lord Flashart

Thanks to you both for your advice on my 'rear window motor wanted' thread.
    Albannach had metioned that the motors rarely fail so I took mine to pieces to see if anything could be done to save it. The modification to bolt the rubber disk to the drive plate had already been done previously but as the seals had been broken they allowed water and dirt to enter the unit.
    So cleaned each piece of the motor and its housing and carefully greased all the moving parts and re-assembled, this time sealing the unit thoroughly and it now works very well.
    Luckily I had another motor that for some reason got incredibly hot when operating so I used that for spares. Interestingly the motor I used for spares was a slightly different design to the one I was using and it looked as though it had a different design motor plate to the one that's usually described in posts, the bolting method wouldn't have worked on this motor
    So thanks to Albannach for prompting me to examine the issue in more detail and thanks to Lord Flashart for offering to mod my motor.

Just one more sneaky question though, is it feasable to use grease on the window runners in the tailgate? I ask as I use silicone spray but it seems to get rubbed off quickly leaving them dry again. Grease would probably last longer but would it make the edges of the window greasy when it came out the tailgate?

Wouldn't grease rot the rubber surrounds?
    Last edited by Ambobeer; 11 March 2011, 21:42.

Comment

I've been using general purpose lithium based grease in my grease gun, I hope it doesn't rot rubber as it was recommended to me to use in balljoints. I did a quick Google search and it threw up conflicting answers though.

Comment

Happy to help and thanks for the thanks. Keep applying silicone and don't let it dry/wear out completely, it'll build up a layer over time and will only need 'topped up'.
        Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Working...
        X