yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Really bad oil leak on Gen 3, can you identify where its coming from?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really bad oil leak on Gen 3, can you identify where its coming from?

Hi guys, i bought my gen 3 around 6 months ago, after a short while i discovered it had a small oil leak, it never bothered me because the vehicle is parked at the bottom of the drive, and the oil light never came on, untill about 2 weeks ago, and over the past 2 weeks the leak has become quicker, its been loosing more fluid, and today after a 10 minute drive i got home and it was allmost poaring oil out of the sump, however i dont know where its coming from because the sump guard(i think thats what its called) was covering where the leak was, and it was literally dripping a drop a second from the sump, ive booked it in at the mechanics but the latest they had was a week on wednesday, and i highly doubt it will make it, without costing a fortune in refilling it with oil. so can anyone help by giving suggestion on where they believe the leak to be coming from? thanks

Oil filter loose?

Comment

ill have a good check tomorow, i thought it could be split maybe, but ill check if its loose tomorow, thankyou for the suggestion

Comment

You either need to park it up until its' visit to the garage, or get the guard off and run it whilst you are underneath to see where the leak is coming from.
        3rd gen 3.0 SSR-V '98 R

Comment

thanks, ive found a local mechanic who'll hopefully sort it out tomorow, ill fill it up tomorow morning so i can get there, hope it isnt too expensive :/

Comment

Originally posted by toyota hilux View Post
            thanks, ive found a local mechanic who'll hopefully sort it out tomorow, ill fill it up tomorow morning so i can get there, hope it isnt too expensive :/
            That will depend on what he chooses to tell you was wrong.

You really can't beat having a wee look yourself.
            Brian

Comment

haha i know what you mean, ive had mechanics like that before, but he's a close friend of mine, and i trust him, he's an honest guy, should have gone to him before it got this bad i guess

Comment

Like the guys here say, you really should just try to take a look yourself - did you check the oil filter like Bushwacker said? Even if it's tight the seal might be damaged or not in the slot properly. Surfs have a built-in funnel that catches the oil from the filter and sends it to approx where you say the leak is coming from.

Comment

Working...
                X