4runner sunroof + no drainage = wet lap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4runner sunroof + no drainage = wet lap

This may be a silly question, but does the UK 4runner sunroof not have any from of drainage?

It kept leaking, so after looking for help on here, i tried to clear out the pipes with a wire coathanger. But i cant find any form of drainage atall!
    Its getting serious now, as after a night of heavy rain, the headliner is soaked, and as soon as i pull out of my drive, i get a lapful of water.
    couple of pics:

I could be wrong but I think you have the same sunroof as mine,thats also knackered. If it is, its not a standard Toyota roof and no theres no drain holes!
    Mine leaks as well,or did,untill I siliconed it shut. The motor and sliders have long since stoped working any way.
    I wonder if a dealer was fitting these roofs as an extra Is your reg close to my old one N521 NGA???

Regards

Mark

Comment

there has to be a drain somewhere in the roof..ya couldn have a sunroof unless there was one..they normally drain down on most cars into the bottom passenger side of the engine bay..or some cars they drain out from behind the passenger wing i think as well

Comment

Originally posted by s car go View Post
        I could be wrong but I think you have the same sunroof as mine,thats also knackered. If it is, its not a standard Toyota roof and no theres no drain holes!
        Mine leaks as well,or did,untill I siliconed it shut. The motor and sliders have long since stoped working any way.
        I wonder if a dealer was fitting these roofs as an extra Is your reg close to my old one N521 NGA???

Regards

Mark
        N637 BWA - Close

Comment

I think your up my creek!! If you find the paddle hand it over

Comment

Surf factory fit has a down turned lip around the sunroof opening and has a drain on each corner of the sunroof tray connected to tubes running down the front screen pillars and the rear pillars behind the rear doors.....

Think you may need to drop roof lining and investigate.......
            Remember arrows are silent.....................
            Don't forget to tell everyone its indestructable as seen on top gear.......

Comment

What Paul said, definatly not a factory sunroof.

I doubt its got any drain pipes, you need to find how water is getting in and fix it/seal it up.
              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

If it did have drain pipes though, where abouts would they come out underneath the car? (pics would help with this one!)

Comment

What size is your roof? Mines 17"x31" and the markings on the glass are "taylor" and "zani" The Surf sunroof is 24"x36".
                  I'm almost certain,from what I can see,from your photos that yours is the same roof as mine,in which case there are no drains!

Regards

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Dara View Post
                    there has to be a drain somewhere in the roof..ya couldn have a sunroof unless there was one..they normally drain down on most cars into the bottom passenger side of the engine bay..or some cars they drain out from behind the passenger wing i think as well
                    You can - there was a huge boom in after market manual tilt sunroofs in the 70s and 80s. They just cut a hole in the roof and fitted the prefabricated sun roof in its strong ally subframe. When closed they sealed down on to rubber seals not unlike door frame seals. I'm pretty sure those old Webasto fabric sunroofs had no drains either.

To stop the leak you could try drying the seals well then apply silicone grease and rub well in.

No, not there, on the seals!
                    Last edited by spacast; 2 March 2011, 22:31.

Comment

as said twice deffo not factory fit ( I got one) its the seals, need a good clean
                      should be ok then.
                      Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                      My choice
                      Back off

Comment

Working...
                      X