moulded fiberglass rear bumpers mk1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• moulded fiberglass rear bumpers mk1

well tried to do rear 1/4 bumpers tonight gel coated fiberglass out of the mould i made 1st attempt well they would be ok for a offroader rough around the edges but might tidy up will put some pics up when camera batt charged will have another go when i get some more time.
    must admit i thought it would be easy but its not, nevermind will keep trying.
    vince
    surfs just steal all ya money

Originally posted by millepeed View Post
    well tried to do rear 1/4 bumpers tonight gel coated fiberglass out of the mould i made 1st attempt well they would be ok for a offroader rough around the edges but might tidy up will put some pics up when camera batt charged will have another go when i get some more time.
    must admit i thought it would be easy but its not, nevermind will keep trying.
    vince
    Keep trying man! Working with composite is not as easy as some people might think, you will get the hang of it though, it just takes some time to become confident with the material, also don't be scared to experiment with different meathods.

Will be good to see your pics, you will probably find they are not as rough as you think, people are normally their own worst critics - I know I am!

If you need any tips I am more than happy to help. I was a composite technician/boat builder for 7 years, really miss doing it, I can't wait till I have the space to start a couple projects, I have a few surf related ideas.

Matt

Comment

Gents !! please keep at it, there are so many of us out there who are looking for new quarter bumpers. With the price of steel ones it has got to be worth trying something else. There are also enough products and companies out there that would supply a decent coating to finish.
      You could be onto something here !!!

Comment

Originally posted by mattisaLN130 View Post
        I can't wait till I have the space to start a couple projects, I have a few surf related ideas.
        Fibreglass bonnet and wings?
        “Do or do not... there is no try.”

Comment

Originally posted by diddypony View Post
          Gents !! please keep at it, there are so many of us out there who are looking for new quarter bumpers. With the price of steel ones it has got to be worth trying something else. There are also enough products and companies out there that would supply a decent coating to finish.
          You could be onto something here !!!
          hi all
          had 2 attempts now and i cant get it rite its alot harder than people think. will have a go at rubbing down the 2nd ones and give them a go round the edges then give them a hibuild primer and paint to see how they come out. at the moment how much time is spent doing all this it wouldnt be cost efective. once ive done this i will post some pics up of the 1st ones (very rough) and then the painted ones.
          cheers vince
          surfs just steal all ya money

Comment

Much appreciate you trying. I've got not a clue about GRP etc so guess its easy for me to sit here and post replies. Cheers..!

Comment

Working...
            X