• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gumtree

how many of you use it
    and dose it work in the same way has the rest
    and can i still use paypal?
    do you need to be verified by them like fleabay
    any one know just saves me the hassel of joining just to find it was a waist of my time
    cheers very muchly
    am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Never seen it before but it looks quite cool

Comment

Gumtree's fine, but it's basically just classified ads like Exchange and Mart. It's not as easy to search as ebay but it's less dodgy usually. It is, in fact, owned by ebay anyway.

Comment

well cant say iam suprised
        cheers sancho

Comment

gumtree is good and bad, I have sold a few things through it (free ads) and its been great, no fee's and cash on collection/ delivery so everyone is happy.

But I have heard a few scary stories i.e. a couple going to buy a car had to meet someone somewhere when they turned up the were robbed. The person had used a random email address and had pay as you go phone so there was no way of tracing him and they though he was doing them a faviour as he said he would meet them near a train station to save them getting a taxi.

Based on that and a few other scary stories (dont know how true any are but there are unfortunately people capable of this out there) I am very careful, I wont tell them exactly where I live until we have agreed the price, time of collection etc.
          I have also had a couple turn round and try to offer me less once they turn up, some even start to cut your price in half over the phone etc, its crazy.

But generally I have always ended up selling things and getting a ok price for them.

Comment

Originally posted by truckarms View Post

But I have heard a few scary stories i.e. a couple going to buy a car had to meet someone somewhere when they turned up the were robbed. The person had used a random email address and had pay as you go phone so there was no way of tracing him and they though he was doing them a faviour as he said he would meet them near a train station to save them getting a taxi.
            I found a car on Gumtree, and went to a railway station in North East London carrying 450 notes in cash to meet a Nigerian fellow that I had only ever spoken to by mobile phone.

He was a lovely fellow, and I drove back with a Lexus LS400 and a smile on my face.

The moral of the above two stories is that you can find absolute bargains on there, and you can fall foul of all sorts of scams and worse. Just as you can by answering any advert whether on line or not. Tread carefully and keep your eyes open and you will probably be alright.

(or, like me, carry a large and well-maintained handgun in a poorly concealed shoulder holster ).

Comment

I have gone to buy things advertised in The Ad Trader and on Gumtree and ended up in some very shady areas of the North East. Not once have I had a deal go wrong and in general most of the people I have met have been extremely nice.

'You can't judge a book by it's cover', as the saying goes.
              'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Comment

i never judge
                i live in a bad area but its full of nice people
                i like it here
                it can get me down sometimes but on a whole theres more good than bad here
                so i tend not to judge

Comment

Originally posted by Scorpion View Post

'You can't judge a book by it's cover', as the saying goes.
                  Wise words. However sometimes the book is entitled "101 ways to shaft a prospective buyer", or "The efficient disposal of corpses; an advanced handbook". If so, it may be advisable to exercise some discretion...

Comment

things like that i never go alone
                    and no one should if you think it could be dodgy then take some one with you
                    i do

Comment

"Nobody brings
                      a fella the size of you unless they
                      are trying to say something without
                      talking."
                      Surf if you got a wave. Wave if you got a Surf.™

Comment

Working...
                      X