Seeping lube, oooer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeping lube, oooer

After greasing up the usual points on my truck, i have noticed that the bottom ball joint boots have a tiny split in each. Is this an MOT fail? I couldn't feel any play in these and only had the tracking done a few weeks ago, so hopefully the mechanic would have noticed play.
    I have had previous cars fail on split ball joints, but they probably were worn (it was a viva, every thing was worn!)

Dazza
    Non consternationes.

I'd clean then them up a bit and if its a big split try a little superglue.

Grease will leak out the top/bottom anyway when you grease them, so grease around the rubbers is often put down to that. Tell the MOT you've just greased then and got carried away and made a mess!

They should be more worried about wear in them than small splits, but you never know and technically its fail/advisory, so try and keep him in a good mood.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Are they definately splits? My new ball joint rubbers each have a tiny "teat" with a pin hole in it. As you pump in new grease it expells some of the old. Prevents you bursting them if you go mad with the gun too.

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies and making me feel better as it looks a bit of a daunting task to replace. I will definatley check to see if they are little "teats" but if not i will try to glue them to try to stop dirt ingress.
        Ta guys
        Non consternationes.

Comment

Working...
        X