another idler mot failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another idler mot failure

yet another failed mot today for play in steering idler, never mind, could have been worse
    [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Originally posted by stara
    yet another failed mot today for play in steering idler, never mind, could have been worse
    Hmmm....Is this a common problem with the 2nd Gens and something to be re-newed regardless or is it just bad luck? Anyone had this problem on 3rd gen?

Comment

They get a lot of stick offroad, i replaced the bushes but the balljoint gave in in the end. the new ones have a grease nipple but the original did not
      Attached Files
      (\__/)
      (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
      (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by TAZMAN
        Hmmm....Is this a common problem with the 2nd Gens and something to be re-newed regardless or is it just bad luck? Anyone had this problem on 3rd gen?
        3rd gens don't have them as they have different type of steering setup

Comment

marky, what type of bushes are they? Oilite, phos bronze, plastic?

Cheers.....
          Damian

http://www.themudlife.co.uk

Comment

they are plastic and are £1.50 ea at milners. about an hours work to change em, although i have bought the complete unit as the balljoint could poss get damaged when removed
            [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Comment

Originally posted by Rob
              3rd gens don't have them as they have different type of steering setup
              Cheers Rob......See I told you lot I'm a mech/tech numbnutz. But I did change my rear brake cylinder on the weekend ON MY OWN

Comment

what size are the bushings?. if they are a problem, and its not too much hassle removing the idler, it may be worth drilling and tapping the housing to fit a grease nipple, i suppose if careful you could do it in situ if enough room
                Rick

Comment

You could drill and tap the original in situ but you run the risk of drilling into the idler shaft and swarf could get inside if done assembled.

Speaking of grease nipples... what grease should be put inside??

I am looking at the Milner supplied part as I type (just about to fit it) and there does not appear to be much grease in there. I can see the shaft through the threaded hole in the body.
                  Ian
                  One day my paranoia will go away!

Comment

Yes you`re right especially if its nylon would tear it up i`d imagine, i`d use lithium base grease as on rest of surf, even the wrong grease would be better than none
                    Rick

Comment

The new MILNERS idler comes with a grease nipple attached
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                      (")_(")

Comment

Working...
                      X