The amazing Surf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The amazing Surf

Hi Guys n Gals just got back from 2000 miles tour around France and I just have to rave about this amazing Surf. Tempetures between 26 an 30 and the gauge never moved from normal. Uphill and down dale, Autoroutes an National roads she indicated 60 mph at 1800 revs towing a 21 ft caravan. It was like sitting in a moving comfy armchair. I thought that as it was only a 3 speed auto box that it would be changing up and down all the time but how wrong I was. She just purred her way wherever she went. No strange noises, no strange rattles just a healthy growl. A friend with a Shogun had a hard time keeping the Surf in his sights especially up the gradients. She seemed to do very well on fuel but at 82 cents a litre I was not really keeping a check. I have towed with many vehicles over the years and I just have to admit that the Surf is one AMAZING TOWCAR.

Wanted to do a bit of greenlaning over there but the wife was adamant I keep the wheels on the tarmac. Ah well maybe next year.
    Attached Files
    Visit all the Surfin Elkhounds at [url="http://www.malenibo.co.uk/"]www.malenibo.co.uk[/url]

Welcome back!

Great to hear the Surf performed so well, its good to hear stories of joy relating to our vehicles once in a while
    Maurice
    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

SE LA VI Malcolm 3weeks till cornwall & i cant wait
      (\__/)
      (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
      (")_(")

Comment

Nice one, a thread of joy, happiness, and self content this is a first I am gonna make it a sticky one and frame it.
        Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
        My choice
        Back off

Comment

Im taking the LAPTOP with me so i wont be missed
          (\__/)
          (")_(")

Comment

I took my laptop with the intention of keeping upto date with Surfdom but at 9.6 kps and £1 per minute it would have been a bit expensive. The Sat nav worked well though especially around Paris. Hope you have as pleasant and enjoyable a holiday as I've had and the Surf performs as mine did. Just absolute peice of mind and total confidence in it's abilities.
            Attached Files
            Visit all the Surfin Elkhounds at [url="http://www.malenibo.co.uk/"]www.malenibo.co.uk[/url]

Comment

nice one malenibo
              i'm off to france for 2 weeks shortly
              just got my thule x1 roof box this morning
              away we go!
              NOGGIN: '96 3.0L TD SSR-G Electric blue...
              'Rum:so much more than a breakfast drink'!

Comment

Originally posted by Malenibo
                I took my laptop with the intention of keeping upto date with Surfdom but at 9.6 kps and £1 per minute it would have been a bit expensive. The Sat nav worked well though especially around Paris. Hope you have as pleasant and enjoyable a holiday as I've had and the Surf performs as mine did. Just absolute peice of mind and total confidence in it's abilities.
                Nice huge awning malcolm, all the comforts of home eh
                (\__/)
                (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by nogginthenog
                  nice one malenibo
                  i'm off to france for 2 weeks shortly
                  just got my thule x1 roof box this morning
                  away we go!

Excellent. Not in the same league but will be travelling down to Malvern at the end of the month....2/3 people, tent, barbecue grill and more than likely loads of horse kit for 3 days stood in a field. So this should give a good sense of the vehicle lugging things about.
                  Gaz

Comment

As well as towing the caravan without a hic-cup the Surf swallowed the awning, ground sheets, chairs an loungers, barbcue, other bits an peices and still had two seats spare. So I am sure it will cope horse boxes, roof boxes and other assorted paraphinalia. As I said I was just so impressed by the way it JUST DID IT I had to brag. By the way Noggin Nigel at 4X4 Unlimited did the service and changed the belts before I went so I did have an air of confidence before I set off. If you want to chat about any aspects of touring in France drop me a PM and we can meet up.

One thing I will say is make sure your headlights are deflected they seemed to be checking as you rolled off the ferry

Comment

Glad to hear a surf is good for pulling a large caravan, we have just bought a caravan (bit older than yours though) which is 24ft long and laden is 1500kilo so am keeping my fingers crossed that it will purr along just as nicely as you say!!! Too late to worry now though, van being delivered to us tonight and then off tomorrow morning to somewhere in suffolk (polstead i think). Just hope everything in the van works ok LOL
                      If it aint broke...........give it some more abuse!!!!!!!!
                      I gave it some abuse.................and it broke!!!!!!!

Comment

thanks for the tips malenibo
                        just got back from my 2 weeks-already depressed
                        didn't see one surf although spotted a couple of land cruisersone
                        fitted 5 of us and everything needed for 2 weeks camping in and on top!
                        the dutch were particularly interested in the surf-they all seemed to be drivving converted transit vans!
                        did quite a few miles-not a hiccup
                        that nigel is a good bloke isn't he
                        NOGGIN: '96 3.0L TD SSR-G Electric blue...
                        'Rum:so much more than a breakfast drink'!

Comment

MMmmm, Nice outfit.
                          Of course it went like a dream, it's a Toyota!

Derek

Comment

Working...
                          X