Drilling holes in walls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
    I'm a bloke, I have many drills (7 at the last count)...
    Are you drilling into brick or sandstone?? Sandstone is also quite tricky to get a fixing in, if it is sugary! Brick should be ok unless it's damp or your on the mortar line.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
      Depends how often it'll get used really.
      I bought a cheap £40 one from Argos about eight years ago and it's still going strong. Don't use it that much, only for drilling with core drills and into stone.
      Originally posted by Wolfracer View Post
      Makita.

If you notice, they come in "weights" any 5kg model will blast its way through most surfaces, and you can also get ones that have a jack hammer (static chisel) setting. I got mine for about £50 from B&Q (own brand)and is holding up quite nicely. I got it mainly to bore 110mm holes for soil and vents. It has a mechanical clutch to stop you breaking your arms off when it grabs. This is very important!

But you get what you pay for. Depends how much you want to spend to drill a couple of holes!
      I have a B&Q one (bought on a whim, as opposed to buying it because I needed it), it's been OK so far. Cost isn't a huge issue and I understand that I only get what I pay for, I'd rather only buy something once. I'll have a look at Makita, Hitachi (whichseem to get a good name?) and Dewalt.
      Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by noobysurfer View Post
        Are you drilling into brick or sandstone?? Sandstone is also quite tricky to get a fixing in, if it is sugary! Brick should be ok unless it's damp or your on the mortar line.
        I have a nightmare with sugary sandstone at my flat (well over 200 years old) Any tips on filling an expanding gap between the door frame and the sandstone?

Comment

I would suggest a sand, lime and cement mix of about 4:1:1 with a cement dye if it's visible, there a few different colours on the market. I have buff and red if you need it. But without seeing the extent of the gap I can only guess that would be your best,maybe not the easiest solution!

Comment

Originally posted by noobysurfer View Post
            I would suggest a sand, lime and cement mix of about 4:1:1 with a cement dye if it's visible, there a few different colours on the market. I have buff and red if you need it. But without seeing the extent of the gap I can only guess that would be your best,maybe not the easiest solution!
            I'll take a picture and let you see, will be next week before I'm there in daylight though.

I think buff sounds right. Is red the typical Glasgow sandstone colour?

Comment

No problem just pm me. Red sandstone is the most popular for tenements, I think the blonde or buff was more for private builds, not sure why though! I would guess that buff was more expensive as it needed to be flawless but I could be talking drivel !

Comment

We're a Makita stockist..ill price you one if you like tomorrow.?

Comment

Hi ya mate, i always buy Milwaukee tools, they are expensive, my 18 volt drill was over 300 quid, but saying that, i have had it 10 years, and only replaced 1 battery,and it gets used more or less every day, far better quality than Dewalt or Makita, try brushing P37 tile adhesive over the area you are drilling, about a couple of hours before.
                  www.furryfriendsinneed.com

Comment

Hi Albannach

I have a cracking Hilti SDS. Picked it up second hand a few years ago after using them regularly when I worked as a pipe fitter. Company I worked for swore by them....

I'm in Dunfermline but if you've got a job on & want a loan, let me know.

D.

Comment

different types of brick
                      mine old red brick a compleat feker to drill

i used hss bits and a hds drill
                      it just burns the bits out

mind you my house id made from the old rotherham brick hard as fek
                      am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Thanks for the advice and offers chaps. I'll let you know how the kitchen cabinet fitting goes!

Comment

I'd also agree that Makita or Milwakee are the things to buy (my Atlas Copco, which was what Milwakee were called about 12 years ago, is still going strong and I have a Makita drill that was 2nd hand to me about 20 years ago that's fantastic.) The bosch sds battery drills are worth a look too. I'd avoid Dewalt, according to my local supplier they're just Black & Decker with a posh casing and more of these go back faulty than any other make.

Thing is though, if you're only using them now and again why pay £300+ for a quallity drill? B&Q or Black & Decker will suffice.

Can I apply for the position of sad drill anorak? I think I have about 9

Comment

Originally posted by an1mal_69 View Post
                            We're a Makita stockist..ill price you one if you like tomorrow.?
                            Normal SDS is £115

Bad Boy SDS is £250

Comment

Originally posted by an1mal_69 View Post
                              Normal SDS is £115

Bad Boy SDS is £250
                              That's not too terrible. I'll maybe get one...

Comment

has the hole you drilled leaked yet?
                                am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Working...
                                X