Wheel bearings and bronze bushes.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel bearings and bronze bushes.....

Was going to fit me new wheel bearings and bronze bushes friday but it was drizzling so didn't bother.....
    Had a whizz round local breakers, found a black 2.4, boy they look small when you rip the suspension off, hardly recognised it.....
    Anyway when i got home had a look under mine only to find the nearside outer cv boot split and the grease all over the place....bugger
    Well weren't going to fit new stuff with out doing boot so phoned local parts place and lo and behold they had one on the shelf.....
    This morning was dry so started to do nearside first.....
    Managed to get inner boot off and slide shaft out, popped new boot on and put shaft back in.... simples.....messy but simples....
    Started to tackle the bronze bushes, well what ever little yts kid designed them he needs a good shoeing....
    how the hell are they supposed to get them out........
    ended up using small dremel and slice though the bush to enable it to be tapped out....
    Small one was easy just a long bar and whacked it out....
    As for the bearings they got that sorted by having cut outs that let you get to the rear of the bearing to whack it.....
    must have been about a gallon of grease in between the bearings sat there doing nothing......
    Got that side back on, circlip was a bugger to get on but i read in one of tony's posts that it shoudn't be easy......
    Got it on as far as i could then put the drive flange on in reverse and slide a big socket over the end of the drive shaft.
    Passed a bolt down thru the socket into the thread in drive shaft and tightened it up to pull the shaft thru and push the clip back at the same time.
    Tightened wheel bearings to give 6kg of pull on wheel stud, but found that it went up to 10kg+ when drive flange was put on....
    Span fairly freely when wheel was on so happy with that....
    started to do offside and gave up after getting the bronze bushes in and the big metal bit back on (cannot think what its called) circlip fitted and all ready to take hub with new bearings, but that can wait till the morning......

Watching starwars and waiting for my wifey to cook a nice ham joint...mmmmmm....
    Last edited by Paul1566; 6 February 2011, 16:25.
    Remember arrows are silent.....................
    Don't forget to tell everyone its indestructable as seen on top gear.......

Well all done now and test driven minus the wife just incase a wheel fell off and i had to get her to rescue me....
    Just need to get the inderside washed off to get rid of all the cv grease that flew out....

Still got a wubbing noise that now appears to be moving around the rev/speed range so cannot nail it down....
    Oh well turn the radio up if i had one........

Comment

I can solve this one for you...

I have a Toyota radio here you can have if you want it
      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

query

Originally posted by Paul1566 View Post
        Was going to fit me new wheel bearings and bronze bushes friday but it was drizzling so didn't bother.....
        Had a whizz round local breakers, found a black 2.4, boy they look small when you rip the suspension off, hardly recognised it.....
        Anyway when i got home had a look under mine only to find the nearside outer cv boot split and the grease all over the place....bugger
        Well weren't going to fit new stuff with out doing boot so phoned local parts place and lo and behold they had one on the shelf.....
        This morning was dry so started to do nearside first.....
        Managed to get inner boot off and slide shaft out, popped new boot on and put shaft back in.... simples.....messy but simples....
        Started to tackle the bronze bushes, well what ever little yts kid designed them he needs a good shoeing....
        how the hell are they supposed to get them out........
        ended up using small dremel and slice though the bush to enable it to be tapped out....
        Small one was easy just a long bar and whacked it out....
        As for the bearings they got that sorted by having cut outs that let you get to the rear of the bearing to whack it.....
        must have been about a gallon of grease in between the bearings sat there doing nothing......
        Got that side back on, circlip was a bugger to get on but i read in one of tony's posts that it shoudn't be easy......
        Got it on as far as i could then put the drive flange on in reverse and slide a big socket over the end of the drive shaft.
        Passed a bolt down thru the socket into the thread in drive shaft and tightened it up to pull the shaft thru and push the clip back at the same time.
        Tightened wheel bearings to give 6kg of pull on wheel stud, but found that it went up to 10kg+ when drive flange was put on....
        Span fairly freely when wheel was on so happy with that....
        started to do offside and gave up after getting the bronze bushes in and the big metal bit back on (cannot think what its called) circlip fitted and all ready to take hub with new bearings, but that can wait till the morning......

Watching starwars and waiting for my wifey to cook a nice ham joint...mmmmmm....
        Paul,how do.My surf rattles like mad when going over even slightly uneven surface,have tightened or replaced nearly everything at the front,but not bushs and bearings.sounds like a bunch of keys stuck to rear of bumper.Does that sound anything like your problem,and have you cured it,regards,Alan

Comment

Honest Al mines more like when you run over rumble strips and comes in bursts...
          not as bad as rumble strips, damn annoying as usual don't do it when stood still so cannot trace it...
          Going to rotate tyres and try that when i get 5 minutes......

Cheers for the offer andy but saving up for one that will get more than radio 2
          not that i don't like radio 2 but its gone down hill since terry left...

Comment

rattles

Paul,the other thing it might be(seem to have tried everything else),what about the wheel bearings not being torqued up enough.The mot man said mine had a bit of play,even though I had checked them (as best as I could) for the mot. Alan

Comment

My bearings where pressed in with the a KBH and then torqued to 40odd ft/lbs than released and torqued to 18ft/lbs then checked for 6kgs of fource pulled on a stud.... several times they where checked and also the noise was there prior to bearing change..... so convinced its not that.....
              I am now thinking engine part related as vibes are felt through the foot rest not the steering........
              Well one day there will be an almighty bang and i will deffo know what it is then.......

Time for a V8...........

Comment

Working...
              X