Its only money...........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Its only money...........

Been getting a wubbing noise (you know wuuuub.....silence.....wuuuub. ...silence...wuuuub.........) at about 55mph
    and slight vibes through the floor.....
    Wheel bearing was skank last mot so just regreased and tweaked it up so me thinks is on its way out.
    So i bit the bullet and lightened me wallet at roughtrax.....
    Inner and outer bearings, seals, gaskets, inner and outer bronze bushes (noticed they where excesivley sloppy when regreased bearings)
    and locking washers for both sides £182 delivered......

Bronze bushes ain't cheap are they.........

Just need a dry day and a big pot of grease.......

Going to use the search button now to see if any of you have posted "oh feck don't do it like that" posts........

ta ta
    Last edited by Paul1566; 2 February 2011, 15:38.
    Remember arrows are silent.....................
    Don't forget to tell everyone its indestructable as seen on top gear.......

Right just a check on nut torque....
    Its 43ft/lb then release, then 18ft/lb and check with spring balance on wheel stud for 6kg before movement ?
    Is this correct or has me search button got clamidia......

Comment

good enough.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I know you (TonyN) posted it somewhere in amongst another thread but me search button could not find it... those numbers are vaugely what i remember....
        Used them when i regreased before......
        Pain in the grass trying to lock the front nut with out disturbing the rear one and just relying on the tab washer to keep it in place.... need a big flat 54mm open ender.......

Comment

There are lots of redneck ways of doing it, if you done wheel bearings you'll know what feels right.

As long as its not too loose and not too tight anywhere in between will work just fine, but obviously you need to know what too loose or tight feels like.

The spring balence way the official Toyota way. I tend to torque the inner nut up-ish, spin the wheel a few times back and forth, check the preload and get it at around 4-6kg, fit the tab washer and outer nut loosely to hold washer in place, stake it on inner nut nice and neatly (you only need to do one tab), then tighten the outer one by hand and bend the lock washer over it.

Then double check preload again after spinning wheel.

Comment

Cheers for that Tony.....
            another quick one when greasing, once i have smothered the race and worked it right in is it worth packing some in the hub between races ??
            If you get what i mean...... or just do the races.....

Comment

oh to own a manual to peruse on these cold wet nights....

Comment

yeah I stick a couple of fingers full of grease in hub, you can tell by the old grease it dosn't really go anywhere, but no harm in having some in there.

To pack the bearing get a small food storage bag, put some grease and the bearing race in it, then its easy to squeeze and kneed the bag and really work all the grease right into the bearing rollers.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                  To pack the bearing get a small food storage bag, put some grease and the bearing race in it, then its easy to squeeze and kneed the bag and really work all the grease right into the bearing rollers.
                  Well bugger me thats a damn good idea, gunna remember that and pas it off as me own one day..........

Comment

We have lots of little tricks like that. Just like all tradesmen.
                    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

How about a sticky "Working on your surf Tips & Tricks" for stuff like this....

1. To pack a bearing get a small food storage bag, put some grease and the bearing race in it, then its easy to squeeze and kneed the bag and really work all the grease right into the bearing rollers.

2. When bolting down a head use a permanent white marker to write the bolt numbers on the bolt heads for ease when following the torque down pattern.

etc etc.......

Was gunna say "No discussions or replies just pure helpfulness" but looking at the other stickies they get raped sooner or later..... 2p spent back to work...

Comment

It's not a bad idea, but as you say, it would get polluted with nonsense and hearsay.
                        Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Just done a google search and noticed a link that went to Tony's 4x4toys site and he has a page of usful info on there which was quite interesting....

Suppose your bound to get the "don't agree" brigade spoiling it as well
                          and the "you don't wanna do it like that" people....

best to keep it in me head and offer advice when prompted thus recieving warmly back pats for great ideas i stole.....

Comment

Working...
                          X