Twin battery set-up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twin battery set-up

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, but what parts do i need to convert my 3rd gen with only one battery to have a twin battery set-up? apart from the battery..

i reckon i'd need the battery tray & clamp and the linking cables (red and black) but is there anything else? is there any relays or split charge wiring etc?

Muchos Grassy ars!

CURLY

Aside from the mechanical mounting stuff, not really.

A cable of sufficient capacity running positive to positive, and a short cable from negative to the bodywork, and job's a good 'un.

Can I ask why?
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

No reason really. just fancied filling the gap under the bonnet.. i'd like to power some lights and have a jump lead plug there somewhere, but want it to look as 'factory' as poss.

thankyou for the info.

Comment

I'd be tempted to run it as an auxillery battery, so it is only charged when the engine is running. That way you have backup power if you ever need it.
        Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick View Post
          I'd be tempted to run it as an auxillery battery, so it is only charged when the engine is running. That way you have backup power if you ever need it.
          So your other battery is charged when the engine's NOT running?

NO battery should be discharging when the engine is running at anything other than low idle BTW...

Comment

Sorry that should have read charging when the engine is running, and not being discharged when the engine isn't running (but you probably guessed what I meant).
            Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Comment

You don't need to say everything you know, you do however need to know what you say.
                Brian

Comment

my landcruiser 90 came with only one battery - base "farmers" model - FX

so i fitted an auxillary battery in the empty space, and a cyrix split-charge relay.
                  so the batterys only link when voltages goes above 13.25v and disconnect when it drops below 12.85v

i have 500w inverter, and a few 12v sockets connected the auxillary battery
                  also have a manual over-ride switch that links the batterys

this was very handy in the very cold decemeber, i drove 15miles and main battery wasnt taking charge or alternator wasnt working. so when i came to start the car again, nothing.

but flicked the relay-override switch, to link auxillary battery to starter battery, and i started engine.
                  then all seemed to be ok after that!

i have also used the over-ride when winching, as this pulled the volts down and disconnected the relay
                  Landcruiser Colorado
                  Sub. Forester

Comment

Working...
                  X