?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ?

the more i look on the forum the more people seem to post about gen2 3l poping head gaskets and cracking heads. is this problem somthing that only affects a small amount or is this somethng every surf owner must expect to happen at some point
    Always up to my neck in it

if they dont keep it tickedyaboo
    i still have gen head on a 2.4 2nd gen

i try to keep all the tickle tackle in tip top shape
    am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

3rd Gen heads are going aswell....
      Remember typically how they go though. High mileage, high temps over an extended period of time lead to fine cracks between the valves and the waterways.
      Lots have probably got fine cracking, but do not suffer the full effect, yet.

Many probably haven't got any cracking at all, yet. Many have cracked all the way and needed to be replaced.

Look at it this way, If my new head lasts another 120k miles (same as the old one), then I'd be more than happy to pay out again in 120k miles...

The surf is not new engineering. It is simple and easily repaired if the worst does happen.
      "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
      www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

mr truck is old
        but so is my man tackle
        both work fine
        am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

3rd gen head is not the same as 2nd 3.0ltr head.

Look after your truck and don't cook it towing or by leaving coolant leaks and it will be fine.

All trucks will have some with issue when the fleet is mostly 15yrs old and clocking on 150k mile

Or play it safe and buy one of

THESE
          Last edited by yoshie; 30 January 2011, 21:48.
          Brian

Comment

lol thanks everyone you have put my mind at rest a bit, and yoshie if you mean get a push bike i allready do a bit of down hill moutain biking and freeride but would never ride in the roads to many idiot aroung my way

Comment

The first modification everyone should do to their newly aquired Surf is to fit an after market temperature gauge, the standard gauge is about as helpful as a handbrake on a canoe!
              Or modify the standard gauge............
              http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/tempgauge.htm

Comment

Car start going wrong after 15-20 years. ON surfs, it tends to be the head that goes. It's something else on others. Keep going until you have a problem, then fix it.

Comment

thanks for that have you done this or just fitted an aftermarket gauge

Comment

if it aint broke dont fix it

Comment

Originally posted by ezza24 View Post
                      thanks for that have you done this or just fitted an aftermarket gauge
                      Both.
                      I have an after market gauge in my V8 Surf, and I fitted a modified standard gauge to another V8 conversion.

Think of it as a £20 early warning system that could potentially save you approximately £1000 if the head goes.

Comment

Originally posted by ezza24 View Post
                        if it aint broke dont fix it
                        Oi thats my quote..
                        If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                          The first modification everyone should do to their newly aquired Surf is to fit an after market temperature gauge, the standard gauge is about as helpful as a handbrake on a canoe!
                          Or modify the standard gauge............
                          http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/tempgauge.htm
                          Would it be the same as the 3rd gen or do i need to fit a separate gauge?

Comment

Originally posted by si tate View Post
                            Would it be the same as the 3rd gen or do i need to fit a separate gauge?
                            All Toyota temp gauges seem to be rubbish, even the Lexus ones.
                            There was a thread earlier about a 3rd gen head possibly cracking with no advanced warning, so I would fit another gauge myself.
                            The hardest part is deciding where to fit it.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                              All Toyota temp gauges seem to be rubbish, even the Lexus ones.
                              There was a thread earlier about a 3rd gen head possibly cracking with no advanced warning, so I would fit another gauge myself.
                              The hardest part is deciding where to fit it.
                              Mounting is'nt a problem "ohh err" its the wiring.
                              Do i just tap into the existing sender unit?

Comment

Working...
                              X