yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any one commute by push bike in the dark?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
    This is what they did 'back in the day':

funnily enough I was going to suggest one of those sticky out rear paddle reflectors and a high visability waistcoat/jacket

Comment

I cycle to and from work 12 months a year. Only 7 miles each way, but up + down a decent hill in each direction. I use the rear light you have in the picture and go at a similar speed on the flat.
      A lot of the old folks around here seem quite shocked that a bicycle can go as fast as you can and misjudge their overtakes. They also get annoyed if you overtake them when they are only doing 25mph - much hooting and shaking of fists!
      I use a front light from Deal Extreme in Hong Kong. It is a little LED torch which uses an odd battery size, but is so bright that all the cars coming towards me dip their lights and pull over to their side of the lane.
      I use some thing similar to this;

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/mte-5-m...ght-18650-4924

As previous replies have said, be positive in your road positioning. If it isn't safe for people to overtake you, ride further out from the edge. When OK to pass, keep in tighter.
      Cheers and stay safe,
      Mark

Comment

Do a search for superflash it has 2 STD LEDs and 1 mega power let it's awesome.

Comment

stop riding your bike and use a surf

Comment

OP; a lot of the cyclists where I am either don't bother with lights or let their dark jackets hang over the light, then moan about drivers slamming on the brakes behind them.

The other trick they have is to wear a hi-vis vest, but put a dark rucksack on over it.

And a lot of them choose to cycle on the road instead of the well maintained cycle path adjacent to and a couple of inches above the road.

As for using hand signals or checking over their shoulder before manouvering across 2 lanes, forget about it.

All the time while plugged into their iPods, oblivious to the world around them.

Cyclists in Ireland are incredibly arrogant and feel that they can do no wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
              Get ten mates and ride in a pack like fecin deranged mongrels.
              With no regard for the queue of 20 motors stuck behind you.

You can then all swear and moan when I squeeze by at 12mph.

Alternatively

Pay road tax and drive, or take the Bus
              Yoshie you missed out "buy a horse and invite a friend with a horse to ride alongside you on a busy raod"

Comment

Originally posted by J i m s t e r View Post
                I have about an 8 mile commute on bike, most of it on cyclepaths, 1/4 of a mile or so on road. And you can bet every scrape I've had has been on that 1/4 mile.

You have to be seen, I have a cateye on the seatpost and one on the back of my reflective rucksack.

19/20 mph is a good average! I work in the highest point in the county so it's all f*cking uphill!
                19/20 is going to work...combined going home is 16/17 as I have a 1 mile uphill on the last mile. Might check out those bags, thanks

Comment

Originally posted by markp2 View Post
                  As previous replies have said, be positive in your road positioning. If it isn't safe for people to overtake you, ride further out from the edge. When OK to pass, keep in tighter.
                  Cheers and stay safe,
                  Mark
                  My road positioning is ok for the most part it's just the muppets who go past so close even when there is loads of room to pass!!!!
                  I am very well lit up on the front, was just looking for the same from the rear......but as alread said "I could have 1 million watts coming out of my but it would not help as there are some muppets on the road...

Comment

Originally posted by dyte View Post
                    stop riding your bike and use a surf
                    Read the original post.......

Comment

Originally posted by hiroler View Post
                      Do a search for superflash it has 2 STD LEDs and 1 mega power let it's awesome.

Thanks just looking at that light now, very bright

Comment

Originally posted by Fey! View Post
                        OP; a lot of the cyclists where I am either don't bother with lights or let their dark jackets hang over the light, then moan about drivers slamming on the brakes behind them.

I have more lights than a car (paranoid!)

The other trick they have is to wear a hi-vis vest, but put a dark rucksack on over it.

My high vis is on my bag

And a lot of them choose to cycle on the road instead of the well maintained cycle path adjacent to and a couple of inches above the road.

Would love a cycle path off the road

As for using hand signals or checking over their shoulder before manouvering across 2 lanes, forget about it.

I check, signal and still get barged out of the way

All the time while plugged into their iPods, oblivious to the world around them.

Does hearing the car run you over make you any safer??

Cyclists in Ireland are incredibly arrogant and feel that they can do no wrong.
                        "Some" drivers in the dark going home after work are only half sharp and instead of giving the bike the room or space just plough onto thier destination with little care (if they even fXXXXing notice you in the first place)

Comment

Sorry Madcmapbell; I wasn't having a go at you.

Sorry about the artwork, but how about a rig like this with lights on each side where they can't be blocked, and gives the impression in the dark of a wider than a bicycle vehicle?

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Fey! View Post
                            Sorry Madcmapbell; I wasn't having a go at you.

Sorry about the artwork, but how about a rig like this with lights on each side where they can't be blocked, and gives the impression in the dark of a wider than a bicycle vehicle?

Didn't think you were...sounded like you were pointing out the irony of bikers over there!! Quite funny really and me posting a push bike thing on a 4 x 4 forum I have got to expect to have the mick taken!!

Thanks for the pic looks like a ride on tractor my kids had at 5 but I do get your point

Cheers
                            Mark

Comment

check out
                              http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...splay.php?f=86

Comment

Originally posted by madcampbell View Post
                                Might check out those bags, thanks
                                They are made by PortWest mate. Have a good google, the price varies wildly.
                                Surf if you got a wave. Wave if you got a Surf.™

Comment

Working...
                                X