Rack Bushes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rack Bushes

Had a wobble / vagueness in the steering for a week or two now. Determined that it is the bushes that hold the rack on, mainly the round one with the big bolt on the drivers side.

Will get some poly bushes to replace but, is this a big (garage) job and how long is it likely to take them or can I DIY it? If so what's the best way to go about it?

Thanks in advance.

Ben

I thought this with my truck when I got it, but it turned out there was nothing wrong with the bushes. I may be mistaken, but I seem to remember it would be a rack off job. I have a set of bushes lying around here (Poly type).
    I'll have a look again at mine tomorrow, as I'll be completing the repairs necessary after the balljoint failure.
    You really should check your TREs, anti-roll links and top and bottom balljoints first though.
    3rd gen 3.0 SSR-V '98 R

Comment

Hi ben, did mine last year & its not a major job because im no mechanic & i managed it without too much hassle.
      You don't even need to take the rack off to do it although the main bush is quite tight but plenty of WD40 helps it on its way.

I got these ones.
      http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=16&cid=172&vid=921
      Last edited by si tate; 26 January 2011, 20:05.
      If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Aha, I must be getting my bushes crossed ! The rack mounting bolts are easily removed, although as you say the big one looked like a press out job. I must check and see if I bothered replacing mine, but I do remember there was nothing wrong with them..
        Last edited by malxwal; 26 January 2011, 20:10. Reason: changed info
        3rd gen 3.0 SSR-V '98 R

Comment

Originally posted by malxwal View Post
          Aha, I must be getting my bushes crossed ! The rack mounting bolts are easily removed, although as you say a big bar on the big one. I must check and see if I bothered replacing mine, but I do remember there was nothing wrong with them..
          I was'nt sure if mine were worn but an easy test is to have someone turn the steering wheel with the engine off "ie no power steering" & see how much play you have got, mine was all over the shop & once changed it did feel alot tighter, oh err.

Comment

My rack has a little play, but I'm fairly sure it's just wear in the rack. I should try that test tomorrow, as when I checked it before, I was on my own. I was just reading that back and thought my man-rack has a little play as well (oYo)
            3rd gen 3.0 SSR-V '98 R

Comment

Originally posted by malxwal View Post
              My rack has a little play, but I'm fairly sure it's just wear in the rack. I should try that test tomorrow, as when I checked it before, I was on my own. I was just reading that back and thought my man-rack has a little play as well (oYo)

Comment

Originally posted by si tate View Post
                I was'nt sure if mine were worn but an easy test is to have someone turn the steering wheel with the engine off "ie no power steering" & see how much play you have got, mine was all over the shop & once changed it did feel alot tighter, oh err.
                Yep, thats what we did. Rack is definitely moving can be easily seen but the workings of it seem tight enough. Checked for TRE's and BJ's at the same time and all these seem just fine.

That bush kit you linked is the one I need, how's best to go about fitting them?

Cheers

Ben

Comment

Originally posted by Ben_D View Post
                  Yep, thats what we did. Rack is definitely moving can be easily seen but the workings of it seem tight enough. Checked for TRE's and BJ's at the same time and all these seem just fine.

That bush kit you linked is the one I need, how's best to go about fitting them?

Cheers

Ben
                  All you do is undo every nut that has a bush connected to it, all at the same time so the rack is loose then pop them out using plenty of WD, from memory you will need to pry back the rack to get them out.
                  You don't need to worry about upsetting the tracking as you won't be disturbing the TRE's, pop the new ones in & tighten up, job done.
                  Took me about 4 hour & 6 plaster.
                  Last edited by si tate; 26 January 2011, 21:25.

Comment

Working...
                  X