G33Ks - Windows Vista Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G33Ks - Windows Vista Repair

Has anyone out there in Surfland ever done a system recovery/repair on Windows Vista without a recovery disc?

I've had the system startup repair/recovery running for the best part of 24 hours now (on & off between the system freezing, etc!) and it has gone from "searching for problems" to "fixing problems" and back to "searching for problems").

The problems are on my wife's laptop. (Dell Inspiron 1545). The only other apparent problem with the laptop is that the screen is pretty badly damaged (cracked with a lovely dripping blood red effect from the cracks!) although it has been running like this since before christmas.

I've got a Windows 7 upgrade disc to use but attempting to boot up from there doesn't seem to be being successful either.

Formatting the hard drive is an absolute last resort because it has a load of photos on there that the wife has never got around to backing up.

i cured mine - bought a macbook - bye bye windows.

Comment

Originally posted by gary-r View Post
      i cured mine - bought a macbook - bye bye windows.
      same as lol cant beet mac's but if you go to piratebay there is a copy of vista on there that you can download as long as you have the key your not even braking any law's p.s i also run widows 7 on my macbook
      http://www.mudmuppet.com

Comment

Set it on fire, claim insurance, buy a mac.
        Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Part of your laptop recovery process is probably a video check, if your screen is damaged, it'll maybe not pass that test (can you plug an external monitor in, see if that helps?). It's easy enough to get the pictures etc. off your hard drive using another pc (or, send it to me (or anyone you trust) and I'll put them on another disk for you). Then, once you've done that, reinstall your OS.

chkdsk /R is a good one too, that can be run from another PC with the hard drive connected to it or from a recovery disk.

The windows recovery process is normally quite good, they've had loads of practice after all.

As for Apple, don't listen to them. Mac's are overrated, under supported, overpriced, shite. And contrary to common belief, they are not virus immune. I much prefer *NIX, nice and stable, well supported and free. If needed, you can easily dual boot with Windows.
          Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
            Part of your laptop recovery process is probably a video check, if your screen is damaged, it'll maybe not pass that test (can you plug an external monitor in, see if that helps?). It's easy enough to get the pictures etc. off your hard drive using another pc (or, send it to me (or anyone you trust) and I'll put them on another disk for you). Then, once you've done that, reinstall your OS.

chkdsk /R is a good one too, that can be run from another PC with the hard drive connected to it or from a recovery disk.

The windows recovery process is normally quite good, they've had loads of practice after all.

As for Apple, don't listen to them. Mac's are overrated, under supported, overpriced, shite. And contrary to common belief, they are not virus immune. I much prefer *NIX, nice and stable, well supported and free. If needed, you can easily dual boot with Windows.

LOL. it's so easy to get Windoze users to bite.
            Alan

Comment

I'm not 'into' computers. Mac's look nice, and ... errr... did I mention they look nice?

Mind you, they should do for the price! Economies of scale haven't kicked in yet I suppose. It will do though, if they become popular...
              Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
                LOL. it's so easy to get Windoze users to bite.
                I'm not a Windoze user.

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                  Mind you, they should do for the price! Economies of scale haven't kicked in yet I suppose. It will do though, if they become popular...
                  If they become popular, they'll end up as Virus ridden as Windows is. The only reason they don't get them. is that it's not worth an Author's time; yet.

The few viruses they do get are more of a 'Don't get smug, Mr J and Mr W', than a full blown hacking attempt.

Comment

Never had a virus on any of my Macs since I've owned them.

Alan

Comment

mac's dont get them and if you spend 400 on a second hand mac book it will out reform a £500 new laptop i no this cos i got my mrs a new laptop for xmas and my 2007 macbook is quicker on bench test and if you can aford a mac i can give you the link for hackentosh so you can put mac os x on you pc and mac os x only cost £30 to buy alot cheaper then windows

Comment

Originally posted by lukenemma View Post
                        mac's dont get them
                        Yes they do.

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                          Yes they do.
                          no they dont

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
                            Never had a virus (that you are aware of) on any of my Macs since I've owned them.
                            I've never had a Windows virus (that I know about) or a *NIX one.

Comment

Originally posted by lukenemma View Post
                              no they dont
                              They do, trust me.

The biggest issue with MAC users is that they have this "I have a MAC, I can't get a virus on it" mentality. That will be their downfall.

Comment

Working...
                              X