Megane Scenic coil problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Megane Scenic coil problems

Just a heads up for anyone who has a Renault with coil packs (or any other petrol with them I guess..)....

The wifes X reg Scenic 16v 1.6 petrol started to run lumpy yesterday, then the engine warning light illuminated. This was after a valet including power wash (not in the engine bay I add), so may be due to water ingress.

Anyway, after an in depth squiz at http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/ I suspected either TDC sensor needed cleaning (had it changed last year) or a coil pack had gone (had a couple done last year too). They are nearly as helpful as you lot..... nearly.

I removed coils in turn and found that when i removed #2 the engine didnt get any worse, indicating that cylinder was the issue....

So, Bromsgrove Motor Factors in Worcester did me an aftermarket coil for £30 (yes, ebay = £50 for FOUR, but it was needed NOW NOW NOW) and it took 5 mins to swap out - and it seemed OK.

Wife drove it a few hours later and came home with awarning light back on and lumpy engine.

I took it out just now, did low rev stuff, drove it like i stole it etc.. never missed a beat! Wonder if it just needed a clean out of the pot?

oh and a coil pack, ive found out, is the modern way to get the power for a spark plug - they dont have one coil and a distributor these days, its one coil per plug, or one driving 2 plugs..

just thought it might help someone!
    If you're gonna be a bear... be a Grizzly.

Yea, maybe these guys

http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/
    私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

um..... yup.

Comment

Is the coil pack an aftermarket mod, or is it standard kit?
        私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

its standard old chap - sits on top of the spark plug (in this case) in a rubber tube.

Tis all new to me. Last time I looked at a pertol engine it was in fact to change a cracked distributor cap. You remember those days? didnt need a laptop to mend a bl00dy car, just a socket set and a haynes manual.

those were the days.....

Comment

Working...
          X