Oil coolers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil coolers

I'm thinking of ATF and Engine oil coolers.

Don't really want the excentric look though. I found a nice write up:
    http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=36364

Is there any benefit to fitting an engine oil cooler on our Surfs? Not sure if thats been covered before.

Also, within the ATF side of things, do we have to be careful about which cooler and pipe sizes? e.g. what pumps the ATF around the cooling pipes, is there any chance that I could prevent the flow of oil , effectively cutting off any ATF cooling whatsoever?
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Originally posted by dieselboy View Post
    within the ATF side of things, do we have to be careful about which cooler and pipe sizes? e.g. what pumps the ATF around the cooling pipes, is there any chance that I could prevent the flow of oil , effectively cutting off any ATF cooling whatsoever?
    No, just use same ID as the hard pipes. Most smaller oil coolers will work. I used something like a 15 row Mocal oil cooler for my ATF and it work a dream!
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

As long as you don't over cool it by fitting something silly it will never be a bad thing to fit a engine oil cooler, whether you really need it is another thing though.

AFT cooler is a must on a truck that tows or works hard, ie offroad or big tyres.

B&M supercoolers are great, and come with all the stuff you need and let you get rid of the in rad cooler, or look on Ebay for MGB type engine oil coolers, these work great as a aux cooler before the in-rad one. I fit either, depending on what people want.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

So I should fit the additional cooler in line as a precooler to the one in the rad? Or is it better to do away with the rad ATF cooler altogether? I was wondering if having no ATF heat in the Rad at all was best as the engine water would then be at its coolest?

This would be nice if there was something to measure by. Thanks Tony and Andy for the names, I can look those up tomorrow!
        Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

So I should fit the additional cooler in line as a precooler to the one in the rad? Or is it better to do away with the rad ATF cooler altogether? I was wondering if having no ATF heat in the Rad at all was best as the engine water would then be at its coolest?

This would be nice if there was something to measure by. Thanks Tony and Andy for the names, I can look those up tomorrow!
          Tony, im gunna do mine shortly & have seen a few on ebay.
          According to a few members on here a shogun cooler fits & works great.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MITSUBISHI-PAJ...item5196f273a2
          Last edited by si tate; 21 January 2011, 00:28.
          If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Nice one Si! Have you bought a cooler already? That link says £30 - the fluidyne's are cheaper?
            Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Or is it better to do away with the rad ATF cooler altogether? I was wondering if having no ATF heat in the Rad at all was best as the engine water would then be at its coolest?
              The in-rad cooler works for normal driving, but it is flawed when you're pushing things, once the AFT fluid gets really hot it heats the engine coolant just as it leaves the rad, which leads to the engine running hotter than it needs to be.

An aux cooler before takes the edge off the AFT temp, before it hits the rad.

I've disconnected mine from the main rad altogether, and run a stand alone B&M cooler, and its vastly improved the engine temps when towing heavy trailers.

Comment

Nice one Si! Have you bought a cooler already? That link says £30 - the fluidyne's are cheaper?
                No not got one yet, would prefer a new to a used one but im not too bothered as long as it does the job right.
                If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

i got 2 x 15 row coolers for lexurf v - one for engine oil and one for atf, also got an all alloy radiator just for the water system. it saves the main rad trying to cool atf as well as water.
                  big engine in a small space = lots of heat.

coolers are always a good thing - if they overcool a stat can be put in the lines.

Comment

Originally posted by gary-r View Post

coolers are always a good thing - if they overcool a stat can be put in the lines.
                    Or put a pair of pants on it!

The good thing about an all alloy engine is it's one big heatsink, the only problem then is letting that heat out.

Comment

can you recommend a quality pair of pants for the job vince

Comment

The only engine oil cooler thread AFAIK

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                          The in-rad cooler works for normal driving, but it is flawed when you're pushing things, once the AFT fluid gets really hot it heats the engine coolant just as it leaves the rad, which leads to the engine running hotter than it needs to be.

An aux cooler before takes the edge off the AFT temp, before it hits the rad.

I've disconnected mine from the main rad altogether, and run a stand alone B&M cooler, and its vastly improved the engine temps when towing heavy trailers.
                          Tony,

Where do you get your B&M Coolers from?
                          En Ferus Hostis. Be your own man. Follow nobody.

Comment

Real Steel, mail order place in Uxbridge.

Comment

I fitted my ATF cooler before the normal radiator, and it has noticeably dropped the engine block temperature (by at least 10degrees).
                              Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Working...
                              X