Fuel prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
    They don't want you to live in a rural area.
    There's more truth in that than most folk think.

Governments seem to spend a lot of time trying to kill farming in the UK, the egg thing, BSE, foot & mouth etc.. It costs a fortune to service rural areas, if there were no rural communities; they'd save that fortune.
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

When I worked at Boots in Nottingham I could only just about justify the fuel costs (travelling something like 120 miles a day) in my old Rover that used to do 50-60mpg. There would be no chance on earth that I could even afford to travel to work, never mind pay the gas/leccy/council tax/whatever else nowadays with the Surf.

As soon as I get a choice about where I'm tavelling to (just told where my placements are until I finish the teacher training course in June/July) I will live just outside the school catchment area to make sure I have the minimum amount of travelling to do and don't have to live next to anyone that I have to teach!

I definitely need to sort myself a reliable source of WVO to use...

Comment

Not considered it that way. Can't really afford to live any closer to work or I would, don't really enjoy the 40 mile round trip on crappy B roads. I appreciate the exchequer is low on funds but fuel tax is a tax on everyone and totally indiscriminate, like increasing VAT only more extreme. Quite pi*&ed about it!!

Ben

Comment

I wouldn't really affect me even if it was £3.00 a litre because i'd just have to add the extra cost in fuel to the kitchen/bedroom/bathroom im fitting.
          I still want to start useing the veg oil i have stashed in the cellar but ive not yet got round to sorting out a good filtering system.

Its still a total rip off though, £1.29.9 here.
          If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

The Government absolutely LOVE any increase in the fuel price for any reason, be it a duty increase, VAT increase or wholesale oil price increase.

The minute the price of diesel increases, it costs more to transport goods to the shops, who pass this on to the consumer. The rise in price of everything in the shops results in the goverment making more in VAT for every single VAT qualifying item sold. The whole taxation system of this country is an absolute joke.

Can you imagine prices like this in the USA? The White House, Senate and the house of Representatives would be burned to the ground. The price we are paying for fuel is utterly ridiculous but its an income multiplier for the treasury because of the effect it has on VAT income from anything that has to be transported by road to its point of sale.

My avatar is the best description of my feelings on the subject.
            En Ferus Hostis. Be your own man. Follow nobody.

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
              The fuel duty element is something like 65%. The remaining 35% includes all of the VAT (including the VAT on the duty!). It's becoming obscene.
              About the same as on the al'col what I'm drinkin' just now......

Comment

Originally posted by Surfer Ross View Post
                My avatar is the best description of my feelings on the subject.
                Your avatar suggests they'd be better increasing the duty on kebabs!

Good points Ross, another angle I had not considered maybe I'm not as cynical as I thought!!

Ben

Comment

Back in the seventies i vividly remember a picture on a news report of a gallon can with a big £1 wrote on it and how shocked everyone was that petrol was going to be a quid a GALLON
                  That was in the days when diesel was a fraction of the price of petrol now its well more expensive. Must be much better than the diesel was then tho eh

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                    I'm sure they had near riots in Qatar recently, when the price of fuel was put up to 11p per gallon.
                    If we had not been so insecure and short sighted as a nation in the 70s we could have been the Qatar of the west.

There is still time.
                    Brian

Comment

£142.9 Diesel at my local garage, honest it was £141.9 when I went to work this morning, bumped up another penny ffs

Comment

They're bumping the price up before the Budget, when they will say that they won't be increasing fuel duty, to make then sound like they understand the motorist's difficulties blah, blah, blah!

Comment

You all dont want to hear this...the sure fire way to decrease oil prices.

Stop using it.
                          Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

veggie oil

You lot just watch,as soon as the veg oil producers cotton on the price will rise faster than a brides nighty

Comment

Originally posted by HONEST AL View Post
                              You lot just watch,as soon as the veg oil producers cotton on the price will rise faster than a brides nighty
                              it go's up at around the same rate just spent 2 hours trying to get coking and nothing any where had to pay 1.31
                              http://www.mudmuppet.com

Comment

Fuel Prices

Prices set to increase yet again due to the crisis in Libya however Libya only contributes 2% of the Oil supplied to the World Market , increases on price of Crude not justified it's caused by people gambling with the Oil Market, We need to get out on the streets and make our views known as we did during the last fuel Crisis
                                A J Ashcroft

Comment

Working...
                                X