Is it possible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible

to use the 2nd socket on the towbar to run a winch from on my trailer.I want ti fit an electric winch and wondered if i could power the winch this way and if so where can i get a suitable cable to do it
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

I'd worry the socket could take the winch power draw, you can get proper winch rated sockets, they are the same a fork truck charger plugs and sockets, you could easily fit one to the towbar and wire it to the battery. Its how you run winches on trailers properly.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

No is the short answer.

Why not just carry a fully charged battery in the back of the truck and fit jump leads to it from the winch when you need to use it?

Comment

not a chance, the wires would melt.

I use 50mm2 welding cable for front winch,
        and 35mm2 cable for trailer winch or its tipper.
        the cable is about the thickness of my little finger! so a lot thicker than towbar elec wire!
        Landcruiser Colorado
        Sub. Forester

Comment

Hey Rich
          You could mount the battery on the trailer & use a second socket to feed it a charging current from the engine bay via a voltage sensing relay. This would reduce the voltage drop at the high current that a winch would draw, over such a long cable run. The charge relay would only connect the trailer battery to the truck when the engine is running.
          This is the system used on small boats when an anchor winch is fitted, where there is a longish cable run from the battery bank to the winch.
          The small marine winches draw ca 300A under load.
          If you need an electrical schematic & relay details for the above system, give me a shout.
          Dave

Comment

I'd do what Vince/Dave said, even normal length winch cables to a winch bumper get warm under heavy load.

Comment

thanks guys.Looks like a battery on the trailer then and just charge it when i get home each time.

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
                thanks guys.Looks like a battery on the trailer then and just charge it when i get home each time.
                Its not like you are short of them!

(that one you gave me for the caravan in the summer is still working great, its in the tractor ATM)

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                  Its not like you are short of them!

(that one you gave me for the caravan in the summer is still working great, its in the tractor ATM)
                  That's very true.
                  I will be fitting a steel box on the trailer aswell to house the battery/batteries.I can then charge them on the move as i got the power inverter fitted aswell just to make sure they are fully charged

Comment

That's very true.
                    I will be fitting a steel box on the trailer aswell to house the battery/batteries.I can then charge them on the move as i got the power inverter fitted aswell just to make sure they are fully charged

Get a length of 17A two core cable, or two seperate lengths, a grey towbar plug, and two battery terminal clamps.

Connect one wire to the pin in the grey plug that corrosponds to the blue wire pin in the socket on the towbar, and the other wire to the pin that corrosponds to the white wire in the socket.

On the other ends of the wires, attach battery terminal clamps.
                    Fit clamps to battery, and plug in the grey plug. When the engine is running, the truck's alternator will put charge into the trailer/winch battery.

The blue wire in the grey socket on the towbar is normally for a caravan's 12v charging system, there should already be a relay in the circuit for this in the engine bay or fuse box.

Blue wire in socket is +12.
                    White wire is -12.
                    Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 16 January 2011, 22:15.

Comment

cheers Vince.That sounds a better plan.At least this way the batteries will be fully charged all the time the trailer is being used

Comment

cheers Vince.That sounds a better plan.At least this way the batteries will be fully charged all the time the trailer is being used

Thats how it works in caravans, the blue wire charges the caravan battery when the vehicles engine is running.

p.s. just edited my previous post.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                          Get a length of 17A two core cable, or two seperate lengths, a grey towbar plug, and two battery terminal clamps.

Connect one wire to the pin in the grey plug that corrosponds to the blue wire pin in the socket on the towbar, and the other wire to the pin that corrosponds to the white wire in the socket.

On the other ends of the wires, attach battery terminal clamps.
                          Fit clamps to battery, and plug in the grey plug. When the engine is running, the truck's alternator will put charge into the trailer/winch battery.

The blue wire in the grey socket on the towbar is normally for a caravan's 12v charging system, there should already be a relay in the circuit for this in the engine bay or fuse box.

Blue wire in socket is +12.
                          White wire is -12.
                          If you do it that way, don't forget to put a 10A breaker in line - this will stop the winch trying to draw full whack down the charge cables if the trailer battery is low.

Comment

Working...
                          X