Tailgate/back door conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tailgate/back door conversion

There are many threads on the topic of problems associated with the back door. I'm wondering if anyone has given up on all those switches, bells and sensors and has converted their back door to one that can be opened and closed manually.

Anyone?

Comment

I think it might be massive amount of work converting it, much more than what's required to just fix the regulator or motor,which seems to be the most common issues.
      Maybe worth looking on the Australian sites too?

Comment

Hello to you too!

Comment

Originally posted by slowburner View Post
          There are many threads on the topic of problems associated with the back door. I'm wondering if anyone has given up on all those switches, bells and sensors and has converted their back door to one that can be opened and closed manually.
          Thought about that a few years ago, when my first Surf played up. If you could utilise the existing outside window trim as the outside face of the new frame, and hinge the window from the top, held up by small gas rams, it might work. Of course may have to loose the heated rear window and wash/wipe, and you would have to devise some locking mechanism, and a weaterstrip. The idea could work, and to my mind, it's the way that Toyota should have designed it in the first place.....See pic of aftermarket fitment to a pickup. (Sorry it's a Frd)......Cheers....Mick.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by MWS; 12 March 2011, 14:35.
          " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

The existing design is poo. I was kind of thinking about hinging it from the side: maybe using the spare wheel carrier - that way it might be possible to preserve the washer and heater. The biggest problem I see is how to make a receiver frame, so that the glass is not stressed when closing the door (or slamming it!).
            Wouldn't it be nice to have "click, clunk - open", "click, clunk - closed" instead of "click, bzzzzzzzzz, click, click, clunk - open", "clunk, click, bzzzzzzzzz, click, click - closed" ?

Comment

The existing design is poo. I was kind of thinking about hinging it from the side: maybe using the spare wheel carrier - that way it might be possible to preserve the washer and heater. The biggest problem I see is how to make a receiver frame, so that the glass is not stressed when closing the door (or slamming it!).
              Wouldn't it be nice to have "click, clunk - open", "click, clunk - closed" instead of "click, bzzzzzzzzz, click, click, clunk - open", "clunk, click, bzzzzzzzzz, click, click - closed" ?
              I actually kinda like the design. I've used the Surf in a "pickup" mode a few times when I've had things that are too big to fit in the boot...

Comment

Or, if you cant get the rear window/tailgate to work. Do what I do, chuck whatever you need to put in the boot over the back seat. Simple

Spoggle

Comment

it's alot of work you would need to get the glass made or cut down for it to open up and there's no way it could be carried on the wheel carrier dew to the thickness of the door unless you took alot out of it ( the door i mean ) any way my dog's would hate it
                  http://www.mudmuppet.com

Comment

Originally posted by lukenemma View Post
                    it's alot of work you would need to get the glass made or cut down for it to open up and there's no way it could be carried on the wheel carrier dew to the thickness of the door unless you took alot out of it ( the door i mean ) any way my dog's would hate it
                    No worries, I'll just leave your dogs out then.
                    Why would I need to cut down the glass? That would have to be fixed in place (in the up position, obviously). Then the opening mechanism becomes redundant, making the door a bit lighter. I'd have to add hinges to beef up the door carrier.

Comment

Hi again ignoramus, buy a third gen if the drop down tailgate iritates you so much!

Comment

Originally posted by Rustinho View Post
                        I actually kinda like the design. I've used the Surf in a "pickup" mode a few times when I've had things that are too big to fit in the boot...
                        I used to like the design, when it worked. And I agree that the "pick up" mode is handy when you need it. There's just too much to go wrong. I've had working days ruined by piddling electrical connections. Mind you I suppose I could say the same thing if I was on the electric chair.
                        Last edited by slowburner; 14 March 2011, 10:39.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                          Hi again ignoramus, buy a third gen if the drop down tailgate iritates you so much!
                          Would love to but I'm broke, just like my tail gate.

Comment

How did you know that my name is Ignoramus?

Comment

No worries, I'll just leave your dogs out then.
                              Why would I need to cut down the glass? That would have to be fixed in place (in the up position, obviously). Then the opening mechanism becomes redundant, making the door a bit lighter. I'd have to add hinges to beef up the door carrier.
                              Looking forward to the pictures of the conversion.
                              Start a thread in modifications section for us to follow your work, please.
                              Brian

Comment

Working...
                              X