Apple TV 1 and 2.... if you are interested

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple TV 1 and 2.... if you are interested

Just thought I'd share a few thoughts...

I have had Apple TV (white one, with disk, 1st gen) for a few years.
    Now Ive just bought a new black one (2nd gen) for the new TV in the living room.

heres a few thoughts:

1st gen / 2nd gen
    Output max: 1080p / 720p
    Storage: 320GB / 0GB
    Ethernet: 100gb/100gb

cant turn either of them OFF - though you can 'standby/sleep' them. The old one was too noisy to keep in the bedroom - the disk hums! So, ive got a 10m hdmi cable from the office to the bedroom TV.... and the aTV is controlled using my iPhone. NO LOSS of quality noticeable. and the cable was <£20 on Ebay....

The old one could output in 1080p, and since I've got some 1080p material from HD camcorder it is great for that.
    The new one however, only outputs in 720p for various reasons..... BUT it does play the 1080p content - just downscales to 720p.

I'm watching a David Gilmore DVD at present, on a 37" Samsung LED, and its very good.

Bit of a shame it cant output 1080p, but I knew that before purchase. I might swap them round and use the old one in the living room, but its the WRONG COLOUR......

or.... I might put it in the Surf and put an old 28" flat screen in there! COOL. er. maybe not..... but it WOULD be cool, wouldnt it?
    If you're gonna be a bear... be a Grizzly.

I thought about buying one... the insides of the second gen one are the guts of an Iphone 4 or iPad, the A4 chip...

How often do you use it

Back in the day Baby

Comment

Originally posted by Vultch View Post
      I thought about buying one... the insides of the second gen one are the guts of an Iphone 4 or iPad, the A4 chip...

How often do you use it
      thats the rumor. hence it probably cant cope with 1080p even if it wanted to!

well, not much really. but I'm getting more use now on both as Jenna is nearly 4 now, and we stream Peppa Pig / Charlie and Lola etc when we need her to have some lazy sofa time after a busy day.

and with the crap on TV, im surfing tut net with David Gilmore streaming from the NAS server via the mac.

I bought it because my new Samsung TV is not playing most of my movie files via DLNA -DOH!!!!! It was cheaper (in terms of time) to buy a new aTV than re-encode all my movies.

anyhow, I can watch the Blu-Ray stuff from the BR player so the 1080p problem isnt really a major issue, and I can hook the camcorder up via composite to view direct on the tv.

I have a crap internet connection so I don't stream rentals, however I do download movies from iTunes to my mac, and playing those is just fine - most are SD not HD though ive got a few HD BBC downloads.

Sorry, you didnt ask all that did you!
      If you're gonna be a bear... be a Grizzly.

Comment

Yebbut, what do they actually do?
        it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Nan mate the A4 chip is ticking over even at 1080p its a powerful mutha... in engineering cirlces a lot of its unused processing power is do do with rights and on the fly decoding.
          Not sure why Apple went 720p

@chillit Its a wireless or wired internet port that lets you
          watch telly off the web via Apples portal

Back in the day Baby

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt View Post
            Yebbut, what do they actually do?
            Same question. An Apple TV does not appear to be a TV at all. If it was why would need a bedroom TV and or a Samsung TV to watch stuff. Is it a glorified video player or something?

OK I missed the bit at the bottom with the answer, although Im barely much wiser.

Bogus
            Last edited by Bogus; 15 January 2011, 00:33. Reason: Speed reading
            Сви можемо

Comment

Originally posted by Bogus View Post
              Same question. An Apple TV does not appear to be a TV at all. If it was why would need a bedroom TV and or a Samsung TV to watch stuff. Is it a glorified video player or something?

OK I missed the bit at the bottom with the answer, although Im barely much wiser.

Bogus
              As usual it's apple's attempt to re-invent something that already exists - but does slightly less, whilst tying you into using only apple - and charge an extortionate price for it to people who care so much about what other people think of them, they believe they need to be part of a brand.

Sorry - rant over, I just really hate apple
              Take your words, put them on a plate, add a little bit of humble pie, and eat them!

Comment

i had to buy the wife a new tv

last tv i pay for was a bernard or something cost 110 quid in the 80's

fekin things cost shedd loads now

i could have got a ls400 and sent my car off to be done
                for the price of a fekin tv

the pictures good tho
                i have even watch a few documentorys on it
                first i have watch tv in about 15 years
                am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Working...
                X