No announcement yet.

Buying advice for a novice - what to look for in a J reg hilux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if your using it for a long trip then get the 3.0 for extra power.
    what sort of money is the seller wanting for this 2.4.It just seems theres a few things wrong with it and its gonna cost you in the long run.I would buy from a forum member.AdrianAsh has a 2.4 for sale which sounds ok
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by uktosa View Post
      Got me worried now! Is it just the coolant issue that makes you think that or the rusty bumpers + tailgate?
      Just had a chat to the seller and I'm going to muck about with it for the day - should get some real miles up and get the engine working properly - we'll see how it goes, what goes wrong etc. Even if I don't end up buying it (which I probably won't on your guys recommendation, it'll still be a great day out...

cheers guys
      If I was buying a truck for the sort of expedition you're considering, I'd walk away as soon as I saw there was no coolant in the expansion tank. It might be nothing but it could easily cost around the £1500 mark to put right. Thats before you consider anything else.

I'm sure you've done your research and I'm not trying to come across as patronising but having driven quite a few miles in Eastern Africa, even established roads and tracks will require that your engine, gearbox, drivetrain, brakes, steering linkage and suspension are in A1 order. Think about replacing the shocks and springs, brake discs, pads and shoes, a good refurb of the calipers, replace pitman and idler arms, inner and outer track rods and sleeves, think about drinking water storage, fuel storage, A/C overhaul, diff oil change, possibly hub seals and diff seals. Its a lot of outlay. You really need to start with the best base vehicle you can find within your budget.

From your brief description, I'd really think about looking elsewhere and would definitely go for a 3.0 as Richard recommended.
      Last edited by Surfer Ross; 17 January 2011, 21:50.
      En Ferus Hostis. Be your own man. Follow nobody.

Comment

Surfer Ross is spot on.... I have bought a 3ltr and am prepping it for a trip to middle east etc etc for a year. There are lots of sites and forums around the world which you can get good ideas from to tailor make your truck ideal for your trip. There are 2 surfs that have just started a trip from here to south Africa....why not follow their progress! Just google "surfing Africa" and their site should pop up.
        Prepping a truck will cost a lot..more than you think! It's not just the car..it's everything else needed for such a trip. Mind you I am spending more this time on luxury items...better equipment and even a fridge. Now a fridge is no where near needed..but after drinking warm beer every night last time I thought it would be worth the stupid cost of getting one.
        Hope you get things sorted.
        .... Which was nice.

Comment

Taken your advice and scrapped that one...back in the market.
          Driving from the UK to SA for Combat Stress.

Comment

Originally posted by Rally Micra View Post
            Now a fridge is no where near needed...but after drinking warm beer every night last time...
            This is what is known as an oxymoron.

Comment

Originally posted by flounderbout View Post
              This is what is known as an oxymoron.
              As opposed to me...a poxymoron.
              Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Success! I am now the proud new owner of a '93 3.0L ssr-x. Happy days. Took it for a 400+ mile test drive at the weekend and it performs well. Great on the motorways, great offroad (rubbish fuel economy though). Only problem is the starter motor (dodgy solenoid) which should be easy to fix?? Next job is to replace all the essentials, make a roof rack, get another spare wheel for underneath and were off!

Comment

Roughtrax are your friends for starter motor goodies/kits...as well as most other things surf related...good luck with the convertion for your trip.. I've just about finished mine and am off to morocco next week for a bit of a shake down/test for the truck...

P.S you my need more than just a spare wheel for your trip to S.A....got a list??...
                  Last edited by Overland Tonka; 5 September 2011, 17:09.
                  .... Which was nice.

Comment

I've managed to find a new starter motor for £110 which I reckon is pretty nifty. I've got a wee list but I'm all ears for suggestions

Comment

Originally posted by uktosa View Post
                      I've managed to find a new starter motor for £110 which I reckon is pretty nifty. I've got a wee list but I'm all ears for suggestions
                      Did you not fancy getting the starter kit I suggested and save yourself money to put towards the build?? Did you need the whole starter motor?
                      .... Which was nice.

Comment

Its still definately an option, I haven't bought it yet. Do they do the trick permanently?

Comment

Working...
                        X