Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crashed Surf !!

Crashed surf !!

At 06:30 this morning , i rolled my surf on black ice and i am almost certain it will be written off by the insurance company. It has damaged all panels down drivers side , some slight roof damage , bonnet , tyre hanging off the rim.
    I have been looking today on ebay , auto trader etc for rough prices and all seem high at the moment. Ideally i would like another 3rd gen nothing before a 96 on a N plate. I paid £3200 for my surf ( 3rd gen 1996 ) 3 years ago and so far all ive found is around the same price for the same year or more money for slightly newer , would that be the going rate at the moment ?

Paul

I'm afraid it is mate, 3rd gens seem to have had a resurgence in price recently. Expect to pay £3,200 upwards for a good 'N' reg. There are cheaper ones but there normally high milers or a bit rough around the edges.

2.7 petrol models may be cheaper but they are now becoming more popular and they too are increasing in price.
    'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Comment

Originally posted by Slugger View Post
      Crashed surf !!

At 06:30 this morning , i rolled my surf on black ice and i am almost certain it will be written off by the insurance company. It has damaged all panels down drivers side , some slight roof damage , bonnet , tyre hanging off the rim.
      I have been looking today on ebay , auto trader etc for rough prices and all seem high at the moment. Ideally i would like another 3rd gen nothing before a 96 on a N plate. I paid £3200 for my surf ( 3rd gen 1996 ) 3 years ago and so far all ive found is around the same price for the same year or more money for slightly newer , would that be the going rate at the moment ?

Paul
      Paul,

Whatever it is, don't take their first offer. Get copies of Autotrader ads and Ebay completed listings prices (if they are favourable) to back up your valuation.
      En Ferus Hostis. Be your own man. Follow nobody.

Comment

Hope everything is ok from a health point of view, matey - for you, any passengers and anyone else involved in the actual accident. When it all comes down to it the Surf is just metal rather than flesh & bone.

(Although they don't fix up Surfs on the NHS)

Comment

Buy a 2.4 until the weather warms up, it'll slow you down and you won't be able to go fast enough to tip over.

Comment

As long as you and yours are ok thats what matters ! as Andy said to me 'its only plastic and metal at the end of the day...it can be replaced' don't expect the insurance company to be in a rush they are really struggling to keep up with claims...so they keep telling me
            Death rides a Black Horse

Comment

Crashed surf !!

Paul
              just to help on your new purchase ask the insurance company if you can buy it back. once its been written off i will give you a profit on it, happy days all round
              JAP4X4PART ¬ THE BIGGEST SURF BREAKER IN THE UK ¬

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                Buy a 2.4 until the weather warms up, it'll slow you down and you won't be able to go fast enough to tip over.
                Kinda agree with this. Just because you have a 4x4 does not mean they won`t slip and slide on Ice, they just do it with more aplomb. Slow down a bit and drive accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by Fricfrac View Post
                  Kinda agree with this. Just because you have a 4x4 does not mean they won`t slip and slide on Ice, they just do it with more aplomb. Slow down a bit and drive accordingly.
                  Wasn't speeding , only doing approx 20 - 30mph. It was on a gradual bend and started to slide, i tried to corrcet the slide and went onto the verge where it slid into the drainage gulleys they dig for the water to drain from the road. Whilst waiting for the police there was another 3 accidents on the same bend and non of them were speeding either

Comment

Wasn't speeding , only doing approx 20 - 30mph. It was on a gradual bend and started to slide, i tried to corrcet the slide and went onto the verge where it slid into the drainage gulleys they dig for the water to drain from the road. Whilst waiting for the police there was another 3 accidents on the same bend and non of them were speeding either
                    None of them speeding but all of them travelling too fast for the road conditions at the time. Sounds like you were the victim of some bad luck there. The main thing is that nobody was hurt.

It's been horrendous here for the last few days. Freezing rain and sleet has turned the road surfaces of minor roads and side streets into a sheet of solid ice. 4 wheel drive and the additional weight helps with straight line traction but you need a surface to grip to in the first place. In these conditions you are in the same boat as everybody else whether you're driving a Mini or a Land Cruiser, unless you have ice tyres with spikes or studs.

Our little Micra handles these conditions better than any Surf I've owned. Less weight means that when you start going sideways, you don't go as far.
                    En Ferus Hostis. Be your own man. Follow nobody.

Comment

Originally posted by Fricfrac View Post
                      agree - slid mine through a junction at <5mph!!!! as did everyone else!

mate just put his hilux in a ditch at <20mph on a road with mud on it. a bit battered but he just drove off.

both of us have off-roady tyres - i guess less grip on the road is the payoff for more grip on a muddy field!
                      If you're gonna be a bear... be a Grizzly.

Comment

any warning?
                        Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy View Post

any warning?
                          You get two warnings for black ice. One is the weather forecast, the other is when you start sliding.

It's quite difficult to drive at a suitable speed for the road conditions as the hazard is invisible and isn't there 95% of the time. Your best bet is to stay indoors with a cup of cocoa or walk to the pub and have a beer with the boys. If you have to drive, you give it the Miss Daisy treatment and be prepared to hit the kerb, verge, parked cars etc.

Comment

Working...
                          X