Some, possibly,daft questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some, possibly,daft questions.

Apologies if these seem silly, but I thought I would ask anyway.

Having read a few threads on here, what is the point of manual hubs, do they do something that the standard hubs don`t do?

Do the Hilux range have difflocks on them?

Anyone done a rear window conversion on thier truck? (That is ,done away with the lifting rear window and fit a truckman type hatch instead.)

Originally posted by Fricfrac View Post
    Having read a few threads on here, what is the point of manual hubs, do they do something that the standard hubs don`t do?
    Manual hubs allow you to manually disengage the front wheel drive saving on wear on the CV joints/boots when you aren't in 4 wheel drive (which is most probably 90% of the time). It also (allegedly) marginally improves fuel consumption.

The way I understand it is that normally when in rear wheel drive mode the whole front wheel drive stuff is still turning because the Toyota ADD system disconnects the differential rather than the wheel hubs.

I'm not sure if that is absolutely correct but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong!

Comment

Hey not daft questions at all!
      I've always wondered the same, I have no idea what it does/advantages are.

And re the difflock, is there an option for us to do this, again I presume this locks all 4 together when on so that power goes to all wheels equally, rather than going to the wheel with least resistance? (which is stupid cos it's usually the wheel off the ground when stuck!)
      www.vidamusic.co.uk

Comment

The 3rg gens have a centre diff which allows 4wd to be used on tarmac, the 2nd gens don't.
        Difflocks are not present as standard equipment on any surfs.

Manual hubs are normally fitted to lifted trucks to stop the CV joints turning when disengaged, these trucks are running steeper drivejoint angles and this increases the wear on CV boots. I have them fitted and they are only engaged when 4wd is required, the 4wd ADD selection still works from inside cab but with hubs in the locked position the driveshafts still turn (like a normal truck in 2wd)
        Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Thanks Alan, I see the point of the hubs now, especially for lifted trucks,Ta.

Comment

Just to add, the 2nd gen transfer box acts like a locked centre diff when in 4WD, so you do effectively lock the front and rear diff inputs to turn at the same speed.
            Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

And the council 3rd gens too.
              Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

They're all being made redundant under the wave of cuts.

Comment

Austerity measures?
                  Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                    Austerity measures?
                    Au stere, unless I'm drunk, then the missus steers.

Comment

However, a centre diff that can be locked, is not difflocks which normal refers to the ability to lock the front, rear or both diffs to give constant drive to both or all 4 wheels in the case of front and rear lockers.
                      Brian

Comment

Working...
                      X