Sell or break ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rustinho View Post
    If you're going to replace it with another Surf (or similar) I'd be tempted to just get the work done to get it back on the road. With a sorted head it'll give plenty of years of service and you'll know it's a good 'un.

If you break it and buy another you'll risk having the same thing happen again... (friends have had cylinder head problems with similar Jap import diesels - Pajs, Shoguns, etc) so it's not just exclusively a Surf thing (although we seem to suffer more than most!)

Just my tuppence worth...
    Hi, Thanks for the advice - It may be an option I guess, fix it and flog it - I have a new head that cost me £620 so i suppose another £250 to fit it would not be the end of the world.

The new one is a bit more tidy, and a 3 litre,

Simon

Comment

Several people want one, but only three more definites after the one I'm doing now.

I'll probably just do a couple and sell them on E-bay when I've got no more in the pipe-line.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
        Several people want one, but only three more definites after the one I'm doing now.

I'll probably just do a couple and sell them on E-bay when I've got no more in the pipe-line.

How long do they take you from start to finish?

Comment

Originally posted by s1mon View Post
          How long do they take you from start to finish?

Well, I started one this week and hope to (got to!) have it finished before the 20th.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
            Well, I started one this week and hope to (got to!) have it finished before the 20th.
            That's good going! I will let you know nearer the time - and hopefully you'll still be doing them

Comment

Can't understand the attraction myself...
              Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
                I'll keep an eye out for your surf tomorrow! i'm going for a few beers in Eastbourne tomorrow afternoon

Comment

Ive still not seen any photos of yours yet?
                  If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

It just looks like a normal 2nd gen si. What you mean is you haven't heard it.
                    Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

It just looks like a normal 2nd gen si. What you mean is you haven't heard it.
                      Nice! - I'll listen out for you then!

Comment

I'm in town this afternoon...I'll apply liberal amounts of loud pedal.
                        Sorry to hear if your head woes old chap...but the new one does look good.
                        Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by s1mon View Post
                          what do you think its worth complete? (minus the bull bar as i'm keeping that!)
                          £300
                          Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

I'm in town this afternoon...I'll apply liberal amounts of loud pedal.
                            Sorry to hear if your head woes old chap...but the new one does look good.
                            Cheers mate; Hopefully the new one is ok - I spoke to the owner yesterday and he seemed a decent chap and quite honest so fingers crossed it will be ok, then I can start modifying it a little!

Got to wait two weeks to pick it up as he needs it for work; I hate waiting!

Simon

Comment

To be honest if you already got the head then have it fitted and then sell the truck on.You got receipts so potential buyers will know a new head has been fitted with new gasket,head bolts and cam belt.I would inclined to fit a new water pump aswell to be on the safe side and then sell it on.You could get upto £1500 for it then once the work is done.
                              You won't get your money back on the head so you may aswell do the work.
                              If the bumpers and everything were ok i would pay £400-£500 for the truck and come collect it aswell which is about a 600m round trip.
                              The only other option is to break it if you got room.You then have to get rid of whats left and if you don't have a trailer you could be stuffed.
                              https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
                                To be honest if you already got the head then have it fitted and then sell the truck on.You got receipts so potential buyers will know a new head has been fitted with new gasket,head bolts and cam belt.I would inclined to fit a new water pump aswell to be on the safe side and then sell it on.You could get upto £1500 for it then once the work is done.
                                You won't get your money back on the head so you may aswell do the work.
                                If the bumpers and everything were ok i would pay £400-£500 for the truck and come collect it aswell which is about a 600m round trip.
                                The only other option is to break it if you got room.You then have to get rid of whats left and if you don't have a trailer you could be stuffed.
                                Good advice mate,thanks - as mentioned I have the new head, with valves installed, cambelt, glow plugs, head bolts. I also bought at the same time water pump, thermostat, full service kit, discs and pads, shoes, 3 piece exhaust system, all new - cost me nearly £1200 ! I know whichever way I go I am going to take a Kicking, just want to minimise it!

Thanks again,

Simon

Comment

Working...
                                X