MPG & Cost comparison Petrol & Diesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MPG & Cost comparison Petrol & Diesel

Ok, so having picked up the new surf and being a little apprehensive about the thirst on the 3.4 ltr V6, I had a shake-down drive to Edinburgh from London. The trip was 461.51 miles (roughly ), and the stats on it are below.

Now I know that if I was towing these figures would be a lot worse, and of course motorway driving helps somewhat. However, I was loaded up with about 50% capacity and had the Mrs and the little one on board as well, so have to say I was quite surprised at the resonableness. All driving was done in 2WD, but I wasn't taking it easy by any means. This was usual driving style and cruising between 70 ~ 85 most of the way.

Gallon Litre Cost
    7.9 35.92 ltr @ £1.279 £45.94
    12.76 58.02 ltr @ £1.229 £71.31
    ---------------------------------------------
    20.66 93.94 ltr £117.25

Trip Distance (miles) 461.51
    Trip Distance (km) 742.73

litres per Gallon 4.54609188
    Kilometres per mile 1.609344

MPG = 22.33
    Cost = 25p per mile

Anyway, was wondering how this compares to the Diesels and the 2.7 & 3 ltr petrols?? Does anybody have any stats? Cost comparison would be interesting given the price of Diesel now.
    Take your words, put them on a plate, add a little bit of humble pie, and eat them!

Not bad at all. In fact, better than Toyota reckon...

Never compared my 2.7 1:1 with my 3.0TD, but I know from longer journeys I do regularly the 2.7 is better than the 3.0. By how much? I dont know, but I suspect its not a massive amount.
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

looking at that i think a 3.4 is next on my shopping list.

Comment

when the 4ltr v8 is done i be getting shares in shell
        am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Just found this on t'interweb. All refer to 3rd gen autobox 4Runner and converted from US to UK gallons.

3.0TD (non-intercooled)

City - 18.8mpg (32p/mile)
          Extra urban - 26.2mpg (23p/mile)

2.7 petrol

City - 15.7mpg (38p/mile)
          Extra urban - 28.2mpg (21p/mile)

3.4 petrol

City - 14.1mpg (42p/mile)
          Extra urban - 23.5mpg (25p/mile - exactly as OP calculated! )

Soooo, if your journeys are mainly short - the TD is the one to go for. If you are a road warrior, the 2.7 petrol. If you are a millionaire, the 3.4 petrol, and if you're richer than astronauts, the 4.0 V8 Lex

<edit> added cost per mile based on average fuel prices near me today and difference in cost here between petrol and diesel.
          Last edited by Apache; 4 January 2011, 15:01.

Comment

im having the 4.0l done by vince now and fancy a 3.4 as a long distance truck.

and no i'm not richer than an astronaut - i just dont have a wife
            and i hate diesels - i have to work on the stinky smelly things all the time and the last thing i want to do is have one of my own to fix.

Comment

Yes, when I put it into perspective, a 250 mile round trip on free flowing A roads / motorways (probably something I do once a month) would cost a tenner more in the 3.4 than the 2.7, and only a fiver more than in the TD! Sod all when you think about it that way is it?

Due to turning into a lard-ar5e over Christmas, I walk or cycle locally / to work etc so the 'city' driving figure is irrelevant to me.

Comment

i get the use of company pick ups for work apache and mileage if i use my own.
                the difference in cost from a 2.7pet or 3.0l diesel isnt really that much and you have the refinement of the 3.4 with the extra whoomph for a few pounds extra on a long run.
                because i work abroad most of my trips are longer so the mpg does'nt really make that much difference. round the doors i can see the argument for thirst but i can live with that.

Comment

Originally posted by gary-r View Post
                  im having the 4.0l done by vince now and fancy a 3.4 as a long distance truck.

and no i'm not richer than an astronaut - i just dont have a wife
                  and i hate diesels - i have to work on the stinky smelly things all the time and the last thing i want to do is have one of my own to fix.
                  i cant wait for mine i feel like a kid waiting for christmas to come again
                  iam not richer than an astronaut i just have no kids i have collected lots of things for kids but never had any to show them too
                  so iam selling them for a lexurf
                  my dad tho is richer than an astronaut

Comment

Which Astronaut though?

Talking of which - I got a few more books to add to my Astronaut biography collection this Christmas.

Deke Slayton's autobiography, and 'Fallen Astronauts' about those who died in the race for space, including a lot of stuff about the Russian program deaths which have only come to light recently.

Hey, I DO collect something! Got about 30 or so biographies now.

Comment

i have some Astronaut things some were layed about
                      iam clearing out i find all mi space stuff out
                      and send em ya when its stickers time

Comment

Apache is fair point about the difference between city driving short hops. 14 MPG is pretty low, but then if you look at the cost 10p per mile extra between the 3TD and the V6 isn't the biggest of margins. It really depends what you're surfing!!

Have told the missus she needs to trade in the Mondeo and get something with a two stroke and a solar powered sail to make up the difference!!
                        Take your words, put them on a plate, add a little bit of humble pie, and eat them!

Comment

It's been barely above freezing for a while around here but soon I'll be back to cycling to work, which helps the mpg. I usually only take the Surf if it looks unrideable on the ground, like I am going to get soaked or a throat infection from breathing in frozen air.

Hope to take the Surf up to the Lakes in the "Summer" and will relish slinging a tent and bike in the back with disdain, rather than having to take the bike apart beforehand. Boot like a hippo's yawn
                          Surf if you got a wave. Wave if you got a Surf.™

Comment

3.0td manual I get an average 30mpg

The manual will pull from 30mph in 5th easily and happily trundel around in 5th at 30-40mph with the rev counter showing 1200-1400 rpm.

I love the auto surfs but the manual and the ability to stay in top gear, really helps the mpg figures.
                            Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                              Just found this on t'interweb. All refer to 3rd gen autobox 4Runner and converted from US to UK gallons.

3.0TD (non-intercooled)

City - 18.8mpg (32p/mile)
                              Extra urban - 26.2mpg (23p/mile)

2.7 petrol

City - 15.7mpg (38p/mile)
                              Extra urban - 28.2mpg (21p/mile)

3.4 petrol

City - 14.1mpg (42p/mile)
                              Extra urban - 23.5mpg (25p/mile - exactly as OP calculated! )

Soooo, if your journeys are mainly short - the TD is the one to go for. If you are a road warrior, the 2.7 petrol. If you are a millionaire, the 3.4 petrol, and if you're richer than astronauts, the 4.0 V8 Lex

<edit> added cost per mile based on average fuel prices near me today and difference in cost here between petrol and diesel.
                              i couldnt afford to run a 2.4 now...the v8 returns on average 0.6 mpg more than the old 2.4...shocking amount !!
                              Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Working...
                              X