3rd Gen Sidelight Removal - Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd Gen Sidelight Removal - Help!

I went to replace all the bulbs at the front end this morning, Osram Nightbreaker headlight bulbs, LED sidelight bulbs and chrome indicator bulbs.

All was going well until I withdrew the off side sidelight bulb holder and the bulb caught the side and fell into the sidelight housing!

I've tried Bluetack on the end of a pencil, sticky tape and duct tape but I just can't get enough hold on the bulb to extract it. In desperation I decided to remove the sidelight itself. Bad move!

I removed the top retaining screw but the bottom is held fast and I can't see how to get it out. Normally I lose my temper and force it out, smashing it in the process, but not this time!

It seems to be held in at the bottom by the part I have arrowed in the picture below.

I just stuck another bulb in the holder and put it all back together, with the other bulb still in there. The question is, how the hell do you get the sidelight holder out as a complete unit?

As always any help greatly appreciated.
    'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

From memory, there's two push studs one of which you arrowed as well as the scew, if they haven't been removed in a while they will be real stiff, I had to errr, force the unit out (foward I think as in toward the front of the truck) and then put some grease on them before putting the unit back.
    Neal

Comment

As above Jim, they need a good bit of force to remove.
      Brian

Comment

Cheers lads, I did try pushing forward on said stud, but I was a bit wary of breaking something and then have the sidelight 'wobble' about because of a snapped retaining part. Is there also a clip that holds it in place, as I could feel something like that near the bottom of the stud?

As I said I normally lose my rag and snap something anyway! I'll try the gentle but forcefull approach next time.

Comment

Jim they are just push fit once the screw is removed.
          Brian

Comment

Cheers, Brian.

Comment

Remove top screw and then get a wide blade long straight bade screwdriver. Push this in between the light unit and the clip attached to the body of the car and twist the screwdriver. This is the point arrow'd in your pic.

Cheers

Ben

Comment

Originally posted by Ben_D View Post
                Remove top screw and then get a wide blade long straight bade screwdriver. Push this in between the light unit and the clip attached to the body of the car and twist the screwdriver. This is the point arrow'd in your pic.

Cheers

Ben
                Thanks for the tip Ben, finally got around to doing this today, although I was bricking it twisting the screwdriver the plug popped out no bother!

Comment

Working...
                X