Veg oil or Biodiesel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veg oil or Biodiesel?

i know you can run Surfs on SVO or mixture of diesel and veg oil etc etc but im wondering whats the benefits of using properly made biodiesel? i only ask coz i can get the propper Bio for £1 litre and wondering if thats better than messing around with Veg oil?

Not entirely related, but I believe biodiesel can cause problems through it's' methanol content and unfavourable reactions with modern plastic fuel pipe/fittings.
    I run my 1KZ-TE KZN185 primarily on SVO with 3-5% petrol and a splash of 2 stroke oil, worked out it was costing me 1p per mile more than my diesel Mondeo TDCi 130,boosted up to 150bhp, which returns about 48mpg. Have recently been mixing 50-50 with domestic heating oil for the anti waxing properties. This blend is even cheaper, as the heating oil is cheaper than SVO !
    I've had no problems over a couple thousand KMs, other than not quite so quick to start from cold when on SVO, no problem starting instantly with the SVO/heating oil blend, even with extreme overnight temps (-18C).
    Last edited by malxwal; 30 December 2010, 20:37. Reason: More info
    3rd gen 3.0 SSR-V '98 R

Comment

Originally posted by malxwal View Post
      Not entirely related, but I believe biodiesel can cause problems through it's' methanol content and unfavourable reactions with modern plastic fuel pipe/fittings.
      I run my 1KZ-TE KZN185 primarily on SVO with 3-5% petrol and a splash of 2 stroke oil, but have recently been mixing 50-50 with domestic heating oil for the anti waxing properties. worked out it was costing me 1p per mile more than my diesel Mondeo TDCi 130,boosted up to 150bhp, which returns about 48mpg. I've had no problems over a couple thousand KMs, other than not quite so quick to start from cold.
      Sounds good to me. Isn't domestic heating oil dyed though? I thought it was almost the same as red diesel.
      En Ferus Hostis. Be your own man. Follow nobody.

Comment

The stuff in my tank is about the same colour as veg oil, no red dye at all.
        3rd gen 3.0 SSR-V '98 R

Comment

Thanks for the info.............

Comment

The stuff in my tank is about the same colour as veg oil, no red dye at all.
            where do you get hold of heating oil for less than the price of SVO?
            Last edited by w33lerd33ler; 30 December 2010, 20:48.

Comment

Originally posted by w33lerd33ler View Post
              where do you get hold of heating oil for less than the price of SVO?
              SVO (Straight Vegetable Oil out of the bottle) is about twice the price of heating oil.

Heating Oil is either Kerosene (not dyed) or Gas Oil (usually dyed red).
              Last edited by Surfer Ross; 30 December 2010, 20:58.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfer Ross View Post
                SVO (Straight Vegetable Oil out of the bottle) is about twice the price of heating oil.

Heating Oil is either Kerosene (not dyed) or Gas Oil (usually dyed red).
                SVO is very expensive these days, only a couple of pence less than Diesel at the pump! thats why i thought of the Bio coz its only £1 litre, already mixed, done ready to pump in and use. no messing with mixing oils or anything like that, i was never good at chemistry!

obviously id like to go for the cheaper option but then theres the prep going down the SVO/ heating oil route...

When i was doing Valeting a few yrs ago the fella who contracted us bought the propper Bio kit and made his own and the vans ran better on it and gave better MPG. im not saying this is always the case, just speaking from past experinces with Bio.

Comment

Well, I used to just phone Grampian Fuels, and they would come round and fill the tank (1200 litres). It was for domestic use, so I never looked. I have now switched over to gas, and was left with a few hundred litres in the tank. In order to empty the tank, and to benefit from the Winter friendly fuel I had already paid for, I started running it through the Surf.
                  Check online for heating oil prices, but SVO at its' cheapest (without buying it in IBC's) is around 94 p/litre, a big jump from recent times, and although heating oil is a totally unregulated rip off in the cold months, the price drops in Summer, and either way, is loads cheaper than SVO.
                  However, the main issue besides cost, is the fact that it is illegal to use heating oil as road fuel, whereas it is perfectly legal to use SVO.
                  This does not answer the initial question on biodiesel though......
                  3rd gen 3.0 SSR-V '98 R

Comment

If you're running SVO, as opposed to WVO, prep is as minimal as chucking in some petrol and oil. If you're getting good bio at good prices then even better. Every penny counts with this govt in !!
                    3rd gen 3.0 SSR-V '98 R

Comment

http://www.boilerjuice.com/heatingOilPrices.php

Average price per litre this summer was about 45p. Its about 70p at the moment.

Comment

If you're running SVO, as opposed to WVO, prep is as minimal as chucking in some petrol and oil. If you're getting good bio at good prices then even better. Every penny counts with this govt in !!
                        lol im running 100% diesel from the pump! so as you can imagine its costing me a pretty penny at the minute to run my truck!

SVO approx 94p litre then the petrol added will probably match the £1 litre Bio if not a bit more...

Comment

Originally posted by Surfer Ross View Post
                          http://www.boilerjuice.com/heatingOilPrices.php

Average price per litre this summer was about 45p. Its about 70p at the moment.
                          Jesus that is cheap!!! im asuming you gotta mix this aswell like SVO/ WVO with petrol/ diesel??

Comment

Running 50-50 SVO and heating oil would average around 82p/litre. Buying Texaco 2 stroke from Morrisons petrol stations at £2.99/litre and adding it at 100ml per 20 litre mix equals around 84p/litre.
                            However, unless you have a domestic heating oil tank, you would have to buy it from a supplier in smaller (25 litre ?) drums, for which they charge more, but it's definitely worth looking at. It's still illegal though
                            Last edited by malxwal; 30 December 2010, 21:50. Reason: more info
                            3rd gen 3.0 SSR-V '98 R

Comment

You also have to be careful that the nice man from HMRC doesn't wonder why you're buying so much heating oil...

Comment

Working...
                              X