PC help needed Please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC help needed Please.

Hi just powered my pc up and my screen save has been replaced with a message in large red and white letters that my pc has been infected.
    In varios way.
    I ran Norton for the first two years and have been running AVG ever sinc with no issues, is there a trusted product for free or I can buy and download to kill this of my pc, btw I am running Vista....Many thanks in advance..

Register here:

http://www.security-forums.com/viewforum.php?f=48

and follow the instructions - especially the stickies. I have used these guys before and they are very thorough. Don't just rely on a single product or scan to fix your computer, it may have a few hidden problems!

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by Surfboy View Post
      Register here:

http://www.security-forums.com/viewforum.php?f=48

and follow the instructions - especially the stickies. I have used these guys before and they are very thorough. Don't just rely on a single product or scan to fix your computer, it may have a few hidden problems!

Cheers!
      Thanks I will look at that, I have a spyware doctor which has been runnining in the back just monitoring, I could activate that for $67, would this be the right think to do ?

Comment

nah - do it all for free. You don't need to pay for anything really. Those guys will sort it properly for you. You may have to wait while they reply but they'll do a good job. They will use a variety of methods. These one-off softwares don't always get the job done.

Comment

Press F8 as the system boots and enter safe mode with networking.
          Then go onto the internet and download Malwarebytes (search on google for "Malwarebytes cnet" its free). Make sure you update it first then do a full scan
          Hopefully will get rid of it

Comment

Good software - that's one of the ones recommended to use first on the security forum. But it's a good idea to post up a 'HijackThis' report for them to check.

Originally posted by rbaz View Post
            Press F8 as the system boots and enter safe mode with networking.
            Then go onto the internet and download Malwarebytes (search on google for "Malwarebytes cnet" its free). Make sure you update it first then do a full scan
            Hopefully will get rid of it

Comment

Agreed malware bytes killed a very Nasty virus on mine a while ago, avg and spybot didn't find it or couldnt find it. Or you could try YouTube and how to kill your virus that's what I did with mine.
              UBIQUE

Comment

Thanks Guys going to look at some of options and help on here..Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Webbo View Post
                  Hi just powered my pc up and my screen save has been replaced with a message in large red and white letters that my pc has been infected.
                  In varios way.
                  I ran Norton for the first two years and have been running AVG ever sinc with no issues, is there a trusted product for free or I can buy and download to kill this of my pc, btw I am running Vista....Many thanks in advance..
                  I own my own computer shop so this should be something i know a bit about! ...
                  Theres plenty so called 'virus removal' programs out there for free and for sale, truth is none of them completley remove the virus/malware, just the parts that you can see. A virus/malware or anything similar generally installs itself in the Windows boot up files and registry making it near impossible to remove all traces without deleting important windows files.
                  The only sure way to get shot is to flatten the hard drive with a full system format and reinstall Windows fresh. This way you know its free from all viruses for sure, this is what i do in my shop. back up your word docs and photos etc if you like coz you will lose them otherwise but i strongly suggest NOT saving any video files such as movies or any music you may have downloaded as they are likley the source where the virus entered your system so putting them back on your fresh install will only put the virus back on again. pictures and word docs are normally pretty safe to save though (providing they are your own, not downloads off the net).
                  I also use a free anti virus software on all reinstallations called 'Avast'. download it and you get a 30 day trail, then simply register it for free with your email address (or any email address) and it activates it for a year completley free. iv had no problem using 'Avast' its even on my own machines. Its completley automatic, does its own searches and prompts you when it finds harmful material or websites known for viruses, it also updates itself every day and has blocked many viruses trying to enter my systems. In my opinion its the best free anti-virus software out there. The ones you pay for do pretty much the same thing so dont waste your money!
                  Hope this helps! hapy new yr!!!

Comment

if you keep getting pop-ups and such while trying to use malwarebytes search for a program, RootKill this will stop any running virus programs and such and buy you enough time to download and run malwarebytes.

have used this method to recover 5 PCs / laptops from something similar to what you have and they havent come back since...

Comment

Buy a mac.
                      Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

.....and some galoshes.

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
                          Buy a mac.
                          Feeding it wont help :p

Comment

Thanks Guys all else seems to be failing so as Rob said I am running Rootkill, then maybe download some decent free antivirus to get it back into life the shoot the hard drive with my .243 !!! Apart from shooting the hard drive does this seem the right way Si ? get it into state where it will run download all important files which are only pictures and my itunes library . Bear with I am not the worlds best on issues with Pcs but we live and learn...Thanks.And glad I've got the Wifes Laptop.

Comment

i think your refering to safe mode bud, you do get a couple of options when you enter it you want the one where you can still connect to the internet so you can download your new antivirus etc if you dont you will need to delete the bits you need to then restart in normal mode and download what you need then. but if you uninstall your antivirus in safe mode then restart normaly you could pick the same virus up again with nothing to stop it. so id go safe mode with networking then you shouldnt have any probs
                              UBIQUE

Comment

Working...
                              X