Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will these fit KZN185?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brembo-Brake-D...item4ceb6428c1

Discs getting a bit thin also going to change fluid. Will change fluid for DOT4 and change hoses for Goodrich braided jobs at same time.

Looking for a caliper rebuild kit too, got an OS piston that sticks once in a while.

Cheers

Ben

Yes, but why would you want to pay 100 quid for a pair of brake discs that look and perform no better than standard Surf/Prado discs?

Comment

They no better than standards Vince? Brakes on my truck always felt poor even after adjustment / fluid change. Thought these may be better, if not thanks for the heads up will save some much needed cash!

Ben

Comment

A pair of new, standard discs together with braided hoses, pads and a caliper re-furb, and your brakes will be loads better.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
          A pair of new, standard discs together with braided hoses, pads and a caliper re-furb, and your brakes will be loads better.
          Cool, saves me a few quid. Where would I get a caliper rebuild kit from? Roughtrax or Milners don't advertise them online.

Cheers

Ben

Comment

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthrea...=brake+caliper

Comment

£84 for a refurb caliper don't sound too bad.
              By the time you have taken yours off, applied plaster to knuckles due to slippy spanner, freed the pistons, shot the cat using airline to pop out the piston, un grubbed the seal seats, stabbed your hand with pointy scriber tool, cleaned off the rusty shite, embeded wire brush particles in hands, replaced the bleed nipple, cus you snapped it, reassembled the caliper, hoping you done it right.
              Or you pay £84 unbolt one bolt the new one on and bleed away, post old one back......mmmmmmm i wonder which i would do......
              Probly being a tight wad do it me self......
              Remember arrows are silent.....................
              Don't forget to tell everyone its indestructable as seen on top gear.......

Comment

there is another way to get stuck pistons out without compressed air. i was shown by an old mechanic, it is basically get a correctly fitting bolt to screw into the hole from which the flexi pipe has been removed, once you have the bolt drill the centre of the bolt right through so you have a hole all the way down, drill and tap the top of the bolt to accept a grease nipple, once you've done this pump the caliper with grease and it will push the pistons out without endangering the poor cat.....
                I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tonupteabag View Post
                  there is another way to get stuck pistons out without compressed air. i was shown by an old mechanic, it is basically get a correctly fitting bolt to screw into the hole from which the flexi pipe has been removed, once you have the bolt drill the centre of the bolt right through so you have a hole all the way down, drill and tap the top of the bolt to accept a grease nipple, once you've done this pump the caliper with grease and it will push the pistons out without endangering the poor cat.....
                  then you have to remove the swarf and grease from caliper.
                  Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
                    then you have to remove the swarf and grease from caliper.
                    you clean the swarf off the bolt before using it and the grease is easily removed using a decent solvent.. I've used this method for ten years or more and it has never failed, It's even got pistons out of calipers that were deemed too seized to be used, the hydraulic action of the grease is far superior to air as grease doesn't compress so more force can be applied to remove the piston...Each to his own i suppose

Comment

wont it push the free pistons out first?
                      JAP4X4PART ¬ THE BIGGEST SURF BREAKER IN THE UK ¬

Comment

yes, but the answer to this is get a piece of wood and use it as a spacer so the free pistons can't protrude too far effectively stopping them and transferring the force to the seized piston and the result is the seized pistons start to move
                        it's never failed in working for me on cars, bikes and light commercial vehicles

Comment

yes, but the answer to this is get a piece of wood and use it as a spacer so the free pistons can't protrude too far effectively stopping them and transferring the force to the seized piston and the result is the seized pistons start to move
                          it's never failed in working for me on cars, bikes and light commercial vehicles
                          I used a method similar to this but,popped the pads out and chocked the moving pistons,with wood/metal bars,and used the foot pedal and the cars own system to push them out.A bit messy but worked well for me.

Have a look here for how I got on

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthrea...aliper+rebuild

Caliper rebuild kit cost me about £35 on Eblag.Brakes are great now!!

Regards

Mark

Comment

remove the calliper, still keeping the brake line on put sockets against the free piostons then pump thr brake pedal till it pops
                            JAP4X4PART ¬ THE BIGGEST SURF BREAKER IN THE UK ¬

Comment

your way would be my first choice but i have had to deal with pistons that the fluid just wouldn't move hence the grease trick as this works where all other ways have failed its definately a must on most pre 1982 bikes as the calipers seize pretty regular if not kept maintained and also with a lot of sports bike calipers as the pistons aren't normally covered with a dust shield then the salt and muck get in and start the damage

Comment

Working...
                              X