What may be a stupid Bio diesel question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What may be a stupid Bio diesel question

This is a question for all of you running on more than just good old dino diesel - if you are using SVO (Straight Vegatable Oil) do you treat it or similar, or just pour it down the filler pipe ?

I have seen on some sites that you are supposed to treat it to remove the gum - or is it unnecessary for a surf ?

Trev

PS if I have got the wrong end of the pole, feel free to slap me with it !
    Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Don`t know about everyone else but i mix 50/50 dino diesel and new veg oil. Have now done over 3k on this and have found no problems. I just pour it straight into the tank and add the dino diesel on top.

Ken
    God bless gaffer tape and mastic!

Comment

Could you give us a run through the routine you follow when filling up, and where do you get large amounts of veg oil from?

Comment

I got 20 Litre of Veg Oil from Wing Yip for £10.25 - they sell it in 20L drums
        Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Originally posted by Rixtar
          Could you give us a run through the routine you follow when filling up, and where do you get large amounts of veg oil from?
          Repost from this thread http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1347

Originally posted by Morr
          ...........I usually let the tank run down to just before the low fuel light comes on, reading nearly empty. Then add the fuel before going to filling station to top up. In my case the nearest station is lest than 1/4 mile away so there's plenty of the existing mix in the lines and filter etc to get me there before it starts drawing on the higher concentrated mix of veggie.............Again as I always say, follow the links, do your own research on the net etc. Satisfy yourself before starting this that you understand what is involved. I'm happy to offer my experience, but you must ultimately make the decision regarding your own vehicle................
          Maurice
          Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Originally posted by UDTrev
            ......I have seen on some sites that you are supposed to treat it to remove the gum - or is it unnecessary for a surf ?....
            AFAIK this is in reference to raw uproccessed oil, I believe that the veg-oil we buy which is designed for human consumption is already de-gummed
            Maurice
            Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Veg oil

I've been running on 100% vege oil for over 20k miles, saves me a fortune. However, I did have to get a conversion done which cost a grand. It's very simple , just a heat exchanger with a glowplug in it. Oncethe engine has warmed up a bit you switch to vege oil and then when your coming to a stop switch back to diesel to flush the system.
              I've got a 2.4 pickup, not a turbo and have had no problems whatsoever. No power loss, no smoke, no emissions problems at MOT.
              I got the conversion done at dieselveg.com in Wolverhampton and am now filtering my own used oil which you can get from cafes/pubs for nothing.

Theres seems to be a lot of sceptiscim about vege oil but I would definetly recommend it. Also, it is legal as long as you pay 27.1p duty per litre, which you declare in a monthly statement.

Comment

Working...
              X