tyre studs / spikes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tyre studs / spikes

anyone used any tyre studs? ive got general grabber at2's which have holes for studs.

after a hairy slide this morning, made me think i could do with some!!!

hairy scary moment i mean, not shagging a yetti.....
    If you're gonna be a bear... be a Grizzly.

Didn't know you could get tyres you add studs too??? Where do you get the studs from?? I've known people to put ver small hex head screws in for extra grip but that wasn't on a road going vehicle!!

Comment

http://www.fwi.co.uk/Articles/2010/0...he-sliding.htm

Comment

Metal studs are illegal in the UK. If you can find rubber ones, they'll do. You'd be better of using winter tyres though.

Comment

Damn , is there nothing you can't find a link to?
          Neal

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
            Metal studs are illegal in the UK. If you can find rubber ones, they'll do. You'd be better of using winter tyres though.
            any idea then? on the rubber ones?

that article sited above seems to indicate its ok in icy conditions - i might look into it a bit more.

i ask because the local hostital are calling for 4x4 drivers to take staff to some locations - I wont do it as i have NO experience of driving properly in tough conditions, and what if I go and have an accident or injure or even kill someone because quite honestly im not 'qualified' to do it?

if i had studs, i'd be a bit more likely to help out.......
            If you're gonna be a bear... be a Grizzly.

Comment

Don't know where you would stand legally with your insurance company using your vehicle as a 'taxi' , even though you are doing staff a good turn. I don't mean to sound harsh, but in this litigeous society, you have to be very careful... Your insurance could be invalid if there was an accident.....Just a thought

Shirl
              Last edited by shirley53; 19 December 2010, 18:30.

Comment

Sorry, to be precise, I suppose I should have just said what was in the article (hence it actually being totally pointless me even getting involved) -

"He was told that studded tyres are permitted to be fitted to vehicles when there is snow, ice, black-ice and frost on the roads, however they must not cause damage to the road surface."

The usual interpretation of this by our discretion-impaired friends in the police force is that metal could damage the road surface (or pedestrians) and they are illegal.

Comment

Working...
                X