Suck or Blow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suck or Blow?

Intercoolers understand that cooler air=denser air="more"power.BUT how and why does the fitting make a difference? ie upstream or downstream of the turbo?

any of you technical wizards care to try to make me understand.?
    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

The turbo compresses the intake air, which heats it up. An intercooler is like a heatsink or radiator, cooling the intake air before it enters the combustion chamber.
    Combine the intercooler with a scoop on the bonnet or at the front of the vehicle and the airflow going through it cools the intake air even more.

On a diesel they create more torque than horsepower.

Comment

I'm waiting for someone to fit a chargecooler from a GT-Four as I reckon this will be the ideal method.

Remove the aircon rad, fit the chargecooler water rad in its place. The air / water cooler itself is quite compact as its more effective than a air / air one, so will sit nicely anywhere inline with the turbo to throttle hose, then there's just the coolant pump and some small water hoses to fit. Lots of space under the Surf bonnet to do it too.

Advantage is you get to put the main rad where its going to cool most effectively - the front of the truck - and the air cooling bit where you can minimise lag - right inline in the turbo to throttle path. No bonnet to cut. Bonza!
      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
        I'm waiting for someone to fit a chargecooler from a GT-Four as I reckon this will be the ideal method.

Remove the aircon rad, fit the chargecooler water rad in its place. The air / water cooler itself is quite compact as its more effective than a air / air one, so will sit nicely anywhere inline with the turbo to throttle hose, then there's just the coolant pump and some small water hoses to fit. Lots of space under the Surf bonnet to do it too.

Advantage is you get to put the main rad where its going to cool most effectively - the front of the truck - and the air cooling bit where you can minimise lag - right inline in the turbo to throttle path. No bonnet to cut. Bonza!
        off you go.... HERE let us know its effect

Comment

Well it's called a blow, but suck is better.
          Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
            True. Otherwise yer taters swell up like watermelons!

Comment

And there's nothing worse than swollen spuds!
              Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by BigBobE View Post
                off you go.... HERE let us know its effect
                On a NA petrol engine, the benefits would be negligible
                Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
                  im with him on that one

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                    On a NA petrol engine, the benefits would be negligible
                    yeah but you have the turbo kit in vinces link as well,

P.s. i keep forgetting you got rid of your oil burner....

Comment

ok thank you for the answer but strangely enough that now leads me to another few

would the turbo lag on a front mounted ic be that bad ? we are not talking glacial speeds (this is going on a 2.4 dino burner) and not a skyline, and if front mounted then surely it would get more cool air? and thus run cooler?
                      secondly? how much hotter is the air coming from the turbo than going to the turbo on a standard non ic ?
                      this is the main thing I am struggling to understand ..... if you are cooling the air how much difference is/will it make if the ic is before the turbo?

sorry to be a pain but before I go mad with the grinder I would like to be sure this is gonna be worth it.
                      Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

The turbo gets it's air from the air filter i.e. the outside. It is then compressed inside the turbo which can sometimes glow red hot, before being forced into the intake manifold. (Forced induction)
                        The colder the intake charge, the denser the air etc, etc.. thats why turbocharged cars run better in cold weather. To replicate that extra power developed during cold weather, an intercooler is fitted.
                        Obviously the vehicle needs to be travelling in excess of 40mph for the intercooler to be affective, as they're no good when crawling in traffic or off-road, but then you don't need power in those circumstances anyway.

To cool the intake charge even more, a perforated tube is sometimes fitted across the front of the 'cooler to spray water onto the cooling fins.

I had an intercooler on my truck when it was a 2.4 and it certainly made a difference when accelerating up hills.

Comment

Working...
                        X